PDA

View Full Version : mcgowan barrels

Pages : [1] 2

calib
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
what do you guys think of them? i have one comming for my first build and was just wondering

mudpig
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a 25" SS fluted Shilen #5 contour barrel from McGowen on my 110 action chambered to 270 Gibbs. With Cheap bullets AND fireforming brass during barrel break-in I am getting .5-.75 inch groups fairly regularly IF I do my part. I can't wait to start so load workup with good bullets.

Dennis
02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I have two with a third coming! I also have a Kreiger and Broughton! Minimal copper fouling, All shoot great, the third barrel coming speaks for itself!

calib
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
how is it a shilen mcgowan barrel?

i got a 26" 243ai ss varmint contour barrel comming for my build i cant wait to see it

Handloader
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
how is it a shilen mcgowan barrel?

i got a 26" 243ai ss varmint contour barrel comming for my build i cant wait to see it

A Shilen Number 5 contour in a Mcgowen Barrel.....

Dennis
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
A Shilen Number 5 contour in a Mcgowen Barrel.....

This is unique!

Senderofan
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I've got a 30" Bull barrel ( straight cylinder ) McGowen on my BVSS. It performs flawlessly...gives me extremely tight groups and cleans easily. I've got other barrels from Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja and now a Lawton. Can't say yet that any of the other custom tubes are easier to clean....and for the most part....accuracy at these levels falls more on my abilities than to conclude it has something to do with the barrel.

I would say...." Use and enjoy the McGowen with full confidence!"

Wayne

Dennis
02-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Wayne, what caliper and twist? Just wondering, and also I am interested in your groups.

Senderofan
02-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Wayne, what caliper and twist? Just wondering, and also I am interested in your groups.

Dennis:

Caliber is .308 Win. Twist is 1:10". Groups....wish I had taken a photo...a close friend of mine built the same rig when I did...we are both getting a ragged hole with three shots....numbers four and five open up slighty because we start getting worked up about how well these shoot. We had about an hour this past fall to chrono some test loads....and we hit a home run with one recipe. Once the snow melts.....probably around August...I'll shoot groups and measure. As it stands...with two pulled shots I'm at 1/2" five shot groups. I'm using Nosler brass, Fed 210 primers, 43.0 gr. of Varget with a 185 gr. Berger VLD / Hunting bullet. I was absolutely blown away with my ES of 10. My velocity is 2760 fps...this is at about 900 ft. elevation. My whole objective was to have a long range .308 using 175 + gr. bullets. This barrel is a flat out shooter....it smokes the Rem. PSS I used to own....also spanks the Rem. Milspec 5R in its stock configuration.... I have since converted it to a .260 Improved with a 32" Bartlein barrel.

Anyway....I have nothing but good things to say about my McGowen barrel. Jim Briggs set me up with all the parts. I had a great gunsmith do a little tweaking and bed the action....and I couldn't be happier.

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Senderofan/Premier%20Heritage/th_DSC01666.jpg (http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp359/Senderofan/Premier%20Heritage/?action=view&current=DSC01666.jpg)

Latest Picture of my rig.....Hard to tell it's a McGowen.

Wayne

Dennis
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Wayne, keep us updated! I am always interested with everybody's success and also trying different loads!

calib
02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
what i am hearing sounds good about the choice i made. cant wait for parts to get here and start assembling this gun. i just ordered my stock this evening a choate tactical looks kind of like a b and c tactical.

Senderofan
02-05-2011, 08:24 AM
what i am hearing sounds good about the choice i made. cant wait for parts to get here and start assembling this gun. i just ordered my stock this evening a choate tactical looks kind of like a b and c tactical.

Calib:

I'm far from being an expert....But my experience with my barrel has been tremendous. I understand the apprehension....spending the $$$ on something that you haven't seen or heard much about. I was really concerned because after I ordered my barrel...I had read some threads regarding chambering problems with .308 barrels from McGowen. This was wasted energy on my part. I suspect you'll have a very positive experience as well....if not...make sure to get in contact with McGowen if there are any problems. Also....I think you'll enjoy that new stock of yours.

Congrats on everything! Give us an update....with pictures, please :), so we can enjoy the finished project with you.

Wayne

10ring
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I just put on a McGowen in a 6X284 with an 8 twist and just fire forming loads I was getting. 25-.50 groups with 105 Bergers at 100 yards. I had very little copper fouling.

I posted my rig in the picture post section.

I think you will be happy with your McGowen barrel and keep us posted on how well it shoots.

What bullets do you plan on shooting?

efm77
02-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I've ordered one that's supposed to be delivered today. I've heard good things about them too especially after they got their chambering problems fixed. I may be able to put it together today but will be a while before I have time to shoot it. I have high hopes for it though!

calib
02-05-2011, 12:11 PM
thanks every one and i will post pics. i am planning on shooting the 95 berger from the 1:9 twist barrel thats coming. i am hoping i can get some speed, but who knows. i did some ballistics for it at 3400 and d-a-m it looked good. ay or rite around 200" at 1000yds it said about 14 or 1600 fps at that range still.

i had thought od doing a 6-284m but the barrel i had seen was a 1:10 and i have 1500 243 pieces of brass so the ai i went.

when fire forming did you load as if that was what you where wanting to shoot in the end. like same bullet, regular load not tamed down or what?

10ring
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I started low and worked up just to see when I get pressure signs with virgin brass and now I will load them up and see what speed I can get out of it when the brass is formed to my chamber. The Begers shot better when I got up to top velocity

calib
02-06-2011, 02:17 AM
thats good to hear about the bergs shooting better at top velosity range i can shoot for the speeds i was looking for then.

CRNA
02-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Just shot my new rig with a McGowan stainless barrel in varmint contour this weekend. Didn't really get to do much dialing in. I was too busy fighting the wind and cleaning after ever shot/ every other shot, and only managed to shoot 11 times. I will say that I didn't see very much copper fouling at all with the barrel. I will keep you guys posted as to how it turns out. I hope to go back to the range this weekend. I started reloading some ammo tonight.

calib
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
sounds good i am interested in hearing how it does what caliber is it in?

calib
02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
i should be getting my barrel in the mail today, but wont mess with it tell next week. i have a coyote contest tonigh and tomorrow then my wrench should get here wed.