PDA

View Full Version : Which model LA is a large shank

nddodd
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody here will be able to tell me which model or models of long actions were large shank. I'm wanting to find one but dont really know how to go about doing it. I know where a model 116 is in a 270 I've heard that 116 are large shank but don't know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

geargrinder
02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Pretty much the only large shank long actions were RUM's.

They haven't made them in a few years, so they're getting tougher to find.

trappst
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Don't think it will help much but the new 220F 20 ga slug gun is a large shank long action.

pdog06
02-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't think it will help much but the new 220F 20 ga slug gun is a large shank long action.

Whole different ball game though, and not able to swap to centerfire.

Remember when you took the bolt apart Steve? LOL

Nathan, that 270 will be a small shank. Like Grinder says, the only were the RUM's for the most part, and are hard to find. The target actions are large shank though, and you already have one of those ;)

nddodd
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM

Whole different ball game though, and not able to swap to centerfire.

Nathan, that 270 will be a small shank. Like Grinder says, the only were the RUM's for the most part, and are hard to find. The target actions are large shank though, and you already have one of those ;)

Yeah I've got that 300ultra barrel just setting in my safe that was on my target action and I can't seem to sell it and I'm not gonna give it away so I'm hoping I can find a large shank long action.

Thanks fellas,
Nathan

trappst
02-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Yep! I just like to get people thinkin! I'm pretty sure the action screw spacing is also different

I would think a small shank could be opened up to large with the right tooling.....what say the lathe owner/machinist types?

jglover_81
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I asked Devin (sinman) about opening up a small shank action and he doesn't recommend doing it.....

geargrinder
02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
You could always buy the 110BAS in 338 Lapua.

It is a long action large shank. Swap barrels and bolt heads and you are ready to go.

nddodd
02-03-2011, 11:08 PM
You could always buy the 110BAS in 338 Lapua.

It is a long action large shank. Swap barrels and bolt heads and you are ready to go.

I wish I had that kind of green... Ha. What would it cost to have the large shank barrel I have turned down to small shank.

Handloader
02-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm getting a large shank turned down to a small shank, and muzzle threaded for $100.00 by Mcgowen

geargrinder
02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I wish I had that kind of green... Ha. What would it cost to have the large shank barrel I have turned down to small shank.

Me too. I also wish they would put the bolt handle on the other side.

Send Sinman a pm. He does good work and has done several large to small shank barrels.