PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Firelapping with JB

Aircraftmech76
02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm gonna go on an accuracy quest and try this on my FVT. Has anyone here tried this before? I see the Tubb system, but I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish the same results. I might also use a lapping compound in grits of 400, 800, and 1200. I'm not sure if I should use Aluminum Oxide or Silicon Carbide for this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

bgc
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I have seen a kit where you imbed the carbide dust into the bullet via rolling it between two plates.
I know first hand how rough the barrels on the Savages are. Personally, I polish with JB Bore paste on a mop.

bgc
02-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Lapping kit at Midway U.S.A.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=486249

Aircraftmech76
02-04-2011, 04:02 AM
Last night I ordered 400 and 800 grit silicon carbide paste from McMaster-Carr. It comes in two oz. jars, and it cost me $20 and change. I'm just going to put a dab on the nose and let 'er buck. The paste will be forced against the rifling when the round is fired, and should do a decent job. I'll test before and after groups and post my results here.

Kevin

bgc
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Let us know how this works and please be careful.

Cycler
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Be sure to clean the bore VERY thoroughly between grit changes and after the finest grit. You don't want to continue eroding the bore after it's smoothed up.

Aircraftmech76
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Roger that fellas. I'm aware of the pitfalls. My compound came in today from McMaster. I'll fire a control group, and monitor the progress throughout this week, to include chrono data if the sun ever decides to show itself again. >:(

Kevin

Rifleman51
02-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Don't do it !!!!! I'm a retired gunsmith, you need to look at the rifling in the new Savage RF's. It's very, very shallow. You will hurt your barrel, especially with the grits you ordered.

Just put some JB bore shine on a tight patch, run it through the barrel, when you feel a tight spot, polish back and forth until it's smooth as the rest of the barrel. When done, run another jag with fresh JB Bore Shine through the barrel for no more than 15 strokes.
You will find a major improvement and will not hurt the barrel.

I shudder every time someone mentions fire lapping a Savage RF bore.

The JB bore Shine is the best and only way to lap a Savage rifle bore. Even the best barrel makes won't use a lead lapping slug in the Savage RF barrel due to how shallow the rifling is. Please listen, I know what I'm talking about.
I used to be the gunsmithing moderator on this board some years ago when it had the old format and started the web site Savagegunsmithing. I've worked on more savages than I can count.

I've seen bores with several rough spots shoot .2" to .4" better after lapping as I described. This is one case where less is more.

John K

Aircraftmech76
02-13-2011, 07:30 PM
How much newer are we talking about?

Kevin

Rifleman51
02-17-2011, 01:15 AM
How much of what? If your talking how much to lap, run a fairly tight dry patch through a clean bore with a good coated rod from the breach end. You will feel any rough spots if you go slow and pay attention. Mark where they are with a piece of tape on the outside of the barrel.
Then take a jag with a patch on it that fits pretty tight, coat it well with the JB Bore Shine, not regular JB, and run it into the barrel, you should be able to feel the rough spots with the JB on the patch also, scrub back and forth until you feel the rough spot smooth out. A barrel may have none (you would be really lucky) or it may have 2 or 3 rough spots. Work each rough spot til smooth, it should not take over a few minutes.
Once all the rough spots are smooth, I change patches and run the patch with fresh JB on it through the bore at least 20 more times. Have someone hold a piece of a board in front of the muzzle so the jag does not come out of the muzzle.
When done, run a few wet patches through it, a couple dry patches and then one lightly oiled.
Your rifle will shoot better and most of all, you will not have damaged the rifling.

Think about it, you want the rifling at the very first part of the leade to be sharp, firing bullets with grit on them is going to wear material right off the beginning or the rifling right of the bat. It's OK to run the patch over the beginning of the rifling about 5 times, but then just concentrate on the rest of the bore, leaving the very first of the rifling and the very end of the bore untouched.

John K

Golfbuddy45
02-17-2011, 01:45 AM
There is a polishing compound that many bench rest shooters use. They run a fiberglass rod up and down the barrels with cloth swabs and those barrels look like glass. One guy told me his bullets GLIDE out of the barrels. The name of the product is FLITZ. I know that at least 3 local gun shops carry it in stock all the time.

Rifleman51
02-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Flitz is a good product, not as fine a grit as the JB Bore Shine.

Use the JB and you will not go too far and hurt the barrel, which can be done. Moderation is the word with the Savage RF barrels. just look how shallow the rifling is in a new Savage RF.

Go easy my friend and your rifle will be a shooter. Just work the rough spots a little until they are smoothed out, it does not ususally take any more than 20 strokes over the spot, many times less and give the whole bore about 15 strokes, don't let the jag come out of the bore.
Right past the leade where the rifleing starts is usually a spot that needs a little work.

John K