PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: model 25 "classic" sporter in .223

teebirdhyzer
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I just got the model 25 in the "classic" stocked sporter style in .223. I saw that they were discontinuing this model of the 25, and since I like walnut stocks I picked one up online. Anyway, it seems very accurate so far with the 3 or 4 different factory ammos I've fed it shooting .75 to 1.25 moa or so with the best being a 55grain vmax. What are some some sweetheart loads for you guys that you think might work out with this gun. It just feels so good in hand, and balances so well that I know it will do 1/2 moa being that its a savage! I know that most will with the right ammo.

teebirdhyzer
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
To update on this. After approximately 75 to 80 rounds down the pipe, the accuracy is improving with every group. I still haven't tried any handloads yet, but it is shooting all 4 ammos I have at under an inch, with the best so far being a 5 shot group of .5 inch with Fiocchi 40gr vmax. What a shooter!!

MaDa
02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
i found a deal on a model 25 in .223 at the end of last year that i couldn't pass on. i ended up getting it for close to $200 off of the savage msrp. then i managed to find a leupold 3-9x40 (varmint duplex reticle) for $150 just after thanksgiving. now gotta find some rings and slap it together since the weather is getting nice....

I cant wait to start breaking in that pig and getting it honed in. looking forward to my inbetween rifle. lol. I'm glad to hear more good experiences. I did not search all that well but when it was all centerfire stuff in one section i thought the general assumption of the model 25 was -some are good some are not as good as they should be- anyways. thanks again. and i look forward to updating once i get down to the range with some factory loads. i won't be handloading. yet anyways. who knows.

teebirdhyzer
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
good luck with the new 25. Try some Fiocchi's.....fairly cheep and seem to be really consistent with the vmax bullets.

kslefty
02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
I have had good luck with the ultramaxx reman loads with v-max bullets in my .223. As far as reloads go the 55gr blitzking with a stiff charge of H322 and a plain CCI primer is tops in my book.

1973glide
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I recently picked up a Model 25 with the Thumbhole stock in .223. On the first trip to the range the firing pin broke on the 9th round, I had to send the rifle back to Savage. They repaired it and turned it around pretty quick (less than 2 weeks) and the rifle is functioning fine now.

I glass bedded the forward part of the action, just around the front pillar block and from the area forward of the magazine well to 1/2" past the point where the barrel and action mate up. If anyone does this, be very careful to use putty around the barrel retention pins other wise you will lock the action to the stock.

I put a Leupold 3-9 x 40 scope on it, a bipod, and after a few break in shots and cleaning, here is what I got for accuracy:

55 deg, 50% humidity, overcast, stiff wind with gusts from the left
3 shot groups fired from bipod @ 100 yds

Ammuntion Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
Winchester High Velocity Varmint, 45 gr JHP 0.81 0.87 0.69
Hornady V-MAX 55 gr 0.56 0.62 only shot 2 groups
Hornady V-MAX 40 gr 1.00 0.44 only shot 2 groups
Remington 62 gr HP (Match) 0.81 0.87 only shot 2 groups

I shot some other ammo as well, the first groups were over 1 inch on these, and i didn't measure them or shoot another group with them:

Winchester 55 gr Pointed Soft Point
Barnes Vor-Tx 55 gr TSX FB
Remington UMC 55 gr MC

I should have shot a few more groups, especially with the 40 gr V-MAX, that 1 inch group had 2 pratically touching, but the weather wasn't that great. i'm very happy with the pereformance of this rifle.

teebirdhyzer
06-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I've been out shoting a little more with the 25 "classic" in .223 lately to try some new rounds out. I have the ultramax remanufactured in 40 grain and 50 grain Nosler BT. It seems to really like these with most groups so far hovering around 1/2 to 3/4". Such a fun gun to shoot!

MaDa
07-03-2011, 11:57 PM
My hopes and dreams didn't pay off as much as I hoped. Took out my model 25 .233 and couldn't even hit paper @ 100. Or 50. This was with without anything bore sited. Was hoping to get extremely lucky. Guess Im going to have to see how far off I am before I buy any offset inserts for my burris rings. Might as well get the max offsets to try and get it in. Not Even touching Paper at 50yds is a ways off. O well guess I know what's next on the list

teebirdhyzer
07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
MaDa, hate to hear that. I'm sure you probably already tried this, but if not you can just take out the bolt and look down the barrel while its on bags to get it on paper at 50yds. Just move the scope so its centered on the paper as you can see it down the bore. Should at least get you started.

MaDa
07-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Yea, I have heard of that before. I now know I'm shooting pretty high and to the left. I stuck an led light where the bolt should be and compared the light on the wall to the reticle. Used the longest area I could inside my house. So just gotta grab some ring offsets and start pulling/turning those adjustments.

MaDa
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Not to hijack but this thread has got a little age on it. Got a range update, I purchased two of the offset sets for the Burris sig rings ( 5, 10, 20" at 100yards). I used both 20" offsets to lower the p.o.a. and it was still shooting about 1ft high @ 100yds. Last night when I was installing the offset inserts I double checked the mounts and they were level ( according to the tape measured I used as a straight edge. ).

Any ideas before I contact Savage? I'm gonna start a thread in the optics section in regard to this issue and for general info in regard to how far out newly mounted scopes are.

I was just using the range so didn't get alot of quality time measuring groups. Shot three in a group a little larger than a quarter. Using .223 45 gr. Jhp Winchester white box.