PDA

View Full Version : gonna build a 243 ai got ?'s

calib
02-02-2011, 02:03 AM
i am gonna build a 243ai my first build i am gonna make it from a stevens 200 sa. i was wondering if i was rite on some info. 4.4" screw spacing? centerfeed mag? i have already ordered a new nut and lug. i am working on a stock i dont want to spend a bunch. i had seen a boyd jrs un finished stock for 120 to the door and thought that may be a ok deal, but i am not sure yet if it is the rite spacing.
what stocks would you guys recomend? i am going to have a 26" varmint contour barrel to put in this stock! any other help pointers suggestions would be greatly appreciated

maybe some pics for something to compare to

calib
02-02-2011, 02:07 AM
and am ordering a sss comp trigger tomorrow

GaCop
02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
The Boyd's stock is not made for a heavy barrel. Look at the Choate "Ultimate Varmint". I believe they make it for the short action center feed. Brownell's has em for $210 and shipping. I believe Choat's web site is showing the same price. It's a heavy molded (Rynite) stock but has ample room for any heavy barrel and has an aluminum bedding block. Your stock choices are very limited for a center feed.

FW Conch
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
caleb, I'll offer a few more options available to you. My 260 Rem., 26" heavy varmit barrel is mounted in a B & C Medialist stock that is available from Stockey Stocks, Discount Shooters & others. It has an aluminum bedding block & skeleton & solves all of your accuracy problems as far as the stock is concerned. It is heavy, 3 lbs, but that is not an issue for me, starting with such a heavy barrel anyway. It is labeled Tactical/Varmit, & I love everything about it from the action forward. I did, however modify mine in the butstock area. I cut an inch off the butt & dropped it, epoxied & screwed it back on, giving 3/4" drop @ the heal. I recontured the cheek weld area & dropped the toe 1/2". I didn't care for the "thick" grip so I layed my palm & thumb on it, outlined it with a Sharpie, rapped a sheat of sandpaper around a 4 cell Maglight, & sanded it down until my palm & thumb fit perfectly. I sealed all the cut & sanded areas with a gel coat & painted it to match the stock color. As far as I'm concerned, this stock, & many others labeled "tactical", are designed to be used "prone" & not very comfortably @ that. I don't understand why "Tactical" has to mean "rough as a cob". Stocktys has a section dedicated to centerfeed, 4.4" actions & some of these stocks are currently on sale.
Stockeys also offers a laminated "Ross" Thombhole/ Varmit stock, cut for a heavy barrel. I have my 358 Win. with a factory magnum barrel mounted in it. This is the most comfortable rifle stock I have ever shouldered. Be advised, if you go with this one, the pillars have to be mounted by you or your "smith". Stockeys offers "tech" help & I didn't have any trouble doing mine. Sorry,no picks-Good Luck- Jim

calib
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
i figured out that stock wont work this morning. do the stevens model 200's sa have a screw spaceing of 4.4" if so how would the choat stock work with a spacing of 4.2 or what ever it is? correct me please if i am wrong on dementions

NeverNoLuck
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
i figured out that stock wont work this morning. do the stevens model 200's sa have a screw spaceing of 4.4" if so how would the choat stock work with a spacing of 4.2 or what ever it is? correct me please if i am wrong on dementions

if your stevens is a centerfeed it is 4.4 but the older staggered mags were 4.25, which one you got? and choate makes stocks for both screw spacings, you just gotta order the right one

GaCop
02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
From what I saw on Brownell's web site, Choate is making a stock for the centerfeed 4.4 spacing. You can contact Choate on their web site to confirm that. As I said earlier, stock options are not in abundance for the center feed. That is strange considering the center feed has been out since 2006.

bosstom
02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
You can pick up a unfinished Stockade for under $200.

calib
02-02-2011, 04:03 PM
it is a centerfeed

i will check out the choats and stockade

any body change triggers to a sss comp?

hcpyro13
02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I changed out the light accutrigger that came on my 12 varmint (1.5lb model) for an SSS trigger, couldn't be happier. It's not quite as great as the jewell I put on my father's remmy, but it's close. I will be using the SSS trigger for any future builds without a second thought.

fatdaddy
02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
+1 on the SSS trigger... there SWEET! Bill

calib
02-02-2011, 08:59 PM
i ordered the trigger this morning they said they are being made now so it may take a couple weeks thats fine though.

looking for a go no go gauge though and a stock other than that i dont know what else i may need other than optics and mounts

GaCop
02-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Headspace gauges can be ordered directly from Pacific Tool and Gauge, Midway USA, Brownell's or Sinclair International.

calib
02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
thanks ga i just ordered it straight from ptg cut out all the middle people

calib
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
everything has been ordered and on the way a new nut, lug, choat tactical stock, rail scope mount where shipped yesterday.