PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10FP LE (short action, 4.4" between centers)

DougMH
02-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Are there any good videos on swapping barrels for my rifle. I suppose it would be similar for most, newer 10/110 actions and the 12 actions as well. I have the following tools...

Wheeler Engineering Barrel Nut Wrench Savage 10, 110
Wheeler Engineering Action Wrench #2 Remington 700, Savage 110

...… for replacing a Savage barrel. I also have a good torque wrench, work bench and Irwin bench vise.

My rifle is pretty new (within the last year) Savage 10FP LE (short action, 4.4” between centers).

I just want to make sure I don’t screw it up.

Douglas M. Hurst
Maj USMC(Ret)
Springfield, VA
703-599-9833

MikeinGBWI
02-01-2011, 10:51 AM
First and foremost, THANK YOU for your service.

One thing I might add is a set of GO/NO-GO head space gauges.

Expect that others will chime in with further recommendations. I just dismantled a Stevens for the sake of learning and found that there is not any magic to the process. With the proper tools, patience, and common sense the project should proceed without issue. One word of caution, however, this may very well become an addiction for you. I just (as in a few days ago) stripped mine down, discovered how easy it is, and am now proceeding to shop for new parts and pieces for this rifle. Ten minutes before I stripped it down, I had no desire to modify it, just to see how it all went together. Now, it is not good enough and in all likelihood my wife is going to beat me with it for spending money on it... Such is life in the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut, I guess.

Best of luck on your project.
Shoot safe,
MikeinGBWI

DougMH
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
One thing I might add is a set of GO/NO-GO head space gauges.

Thanks, yes I have both and forgot to mention it. Thanks for your reply.

GaCop
02-02-2011, 07:32 AM
MikeinGBWI.............you getting slammed with snow yet? I'm originally from Milwaukee but retired from the military in middle Georgia 26 years ago.

DougMH
02-02-2011, 07:47 AM
MikeinGBWI.............you getting slammed with snow yet? I'm originally from Milwaukee but retired from the military in middle Georgia 26 years ago.

We were missed here in the D. C. Area. We were supposed to have freezing rain last night but it didn't happen... just rain.

I'll be opening Range 1 at Marine Corps Base, Quantico, VA this Saturday from 1000-1400. Come on up from Georgia and shoot.

GaCop
02-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Man, thanks for the offer, I'd love to but that's just a bit too far to drive. I'm very fortunate as I have a friend in southwest Georgia who is an avid shooter and has a 1k range on his property. It's a 1.5 hour drive which isn't bad. His range is built across a valley which can have some wicked cross winds so you really have to know how to read mirage and wind flags. His range is harder to shoot on than the 1k "Delta" range at Camp Lejeune.

All we're getting here is rain too, which is much needed. It cuts into my shooting time so I reload when cabin fever hits. I think I have enough 223/5.56 ammo loaded now to repel another Tet Offensive.

MikeinGBWI
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
GaCop,
No sir. The snow is about 30 miles to the south and not coming this way.. We missed this one...whew!

MikeinGBWI

GaCop
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Good for you! I guess my brother in Barton, north of West Allis, is catching hell...............again.