PDA

View Full Version : Got snuck up on.

ShaneG.
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Went out this morning to sit in a fence row facing south where we be seeing a lot of coyotes going into heading north after calling off an on for about an hour I hear some snow crunching and at first thought it was my buddy moving around until I realized it was right behind me.

By the time I seen him he was about 20 feet on my right going into the fence row getting ready to step out into my view, of coarse I had my rifle on the sticks facing south so I got it swung around and on him about the same time he winded me or seen me move and bolted shot and missed and my buddy missed as well.

Our first coyote derby ain't starting out so well after the 3rd day into it. I guess 5 been turned in so far with the biggest weighing in at 38lbs.

JReed
02-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Had some thing similar happen with a fox once. Really wished I had a shotgun with me at the time.

ShaneG.
02-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I was having a tough time deciding whether to take my savage or my short AR. Later on I went out with the AR then seen one that was out about 250-300 yards out. Missed him to.

bgc
02-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I've had the same scenario...

bubbinator
02-09-2011, 03:27 AM
ShaneG- have you ever cosidered a handgun for a situation like this? Drawing it would involve a lot less movement than swapping ends with a rifle/shotgun. At that close range a hit is petty likely ifthe coyote isn't spooked by a fast movement. Worked for me.

ShaneG.
02-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Thought about packing my glock with me but never think to grab it.

Slowpoke Slim
02-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Often times I'll take a revolver with me and lay it in my lap, just in case.

bluealtered
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Predators of all types will try to wind you before showing them selfs if possible, they are simply trying to stay alive. Slim pretty much hits it on the head as far as using a hand gun for close range work. If your sitting down it's hard to get your rifle up or around in time for close shots in the tight, heavy brush areas i hunt. A pistol in your lap, not in a holster gives you a much better chance to get a shot off.

Sit down with your rifle and try to move into shooting position while sitting, then add to that, that they always seem to be on your weak side as well and a pistol just works better for me. blue

us920669
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
For many years I sat in deer stands with a scoped T/C in 7-30 Waters out of its holster and laying on its side facing due right. Fact is, it never worked for me, but that was just because of a lack of something to shoot. Still seems like a good idea.

ShaneG.
02-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Both of the ones that snuck up on us have came in from the up wind side for the most part.