PDA

View Full Version : how do you know what shank diameter you have?

jb45
01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
i'm knew to swapping out barrels. when buying an aftermarket barrel you have to choose shank diameter. how do you know? any help would be appreciated.

helotaxi
01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
The vast majority of the large shank actions are the LRPV target actions. The rest came on factory short magnum rifles. If you don't have either of those, you can be about 99.99% sure that you have a small shank. To get a more certain answer, look at the barrel nut. If the tapered portion of the is almost exactly the same length as the cylindrical portion, then you have a small shank. The large shank nut has a much shorter tapered section. v

blom
01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
You could do what I did, just order one and when it's wrong gives you an excuse to buy another action.

jglover_81
01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
measure your barrel nut.... if its 5/8" then its large shank 7/8" is a small shank

jb45
01-31-2011, 01:20 PM
thank you for all your help. this will become addictive i can already see that.

jglover_81
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Very much so!!!! ::)

rossman40
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I just worked on a 2010 10ML-II with a large shank barrel and it had a 7/8" long barrel nut. It seems like Savage is trying different cosmetics on the barrel nut. Best thing is to measure right in front of the barrel nut, if it is a factory barrel and over 1.060", more like 1.118", you probly have a large shank. Like Helo said most of the large shanks are the LRPVs and usually Accutrigger RUMs, WSMs and SUAMs.

You can also run across pre-accutrigger single shot model 10s with a "M" prefix in the SN with large shank barrels. These were made using left over 10ML-I actions

sharpshooter
02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Can you post a pic of this large shank nut that is 7/8" long?

rbertalotto
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Barrel Shanks

In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.
However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/images/Tech/Shank03.jpg

earl39
02-02-2011, 11:52 PM
You can't go by a step in the barrel. If you don't belive me just look at a factory F/TR rifle. They are large shank and have no step. Some large shank barrels have no step. Either measure the barrel shank at the threads or use the nut measurement. If you are working with a 10/110 you will have no problem. As for working with the muzzle loaders i have no ideal which nut size was used.

Gary

jb45
02-03-2011, 10:05 AM
i have a savage 4x4 model 110 long action in .223 rem. this was the first long action chambered in a short caliber i've seen , but it shoots great and price was right. i want to put a lighter barrel/ stock on it for predator hunting. i'm pretty sure its a standard shank after looking at it and measuring it. thanks again for the help.