PDA

View Full Version : Help in scope decision - hunting and target shooting

txgolfer45
01-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Background: Looking for a scope for hunting and long range shooting (targets or varmints like coyotes or hogs). My rifle is a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .308. It won't be going on missions overseas. Shooting will be at a variety of distances not just one distance. I have a good rangefinder.

I want a variable scope with either mil/mil or moa/moa. I've been researching the following:

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP variety of reticles (new models)
Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 LR IRMAO or MD/CM (new models)
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 (zero stop? TMR, mil/mil or NP-R1 moa/moa?)

The Vortex are just now coming into dealers hands after a delay due to problems with the first batch last summer. That makes me a little leery.

Sightron has a good reputation. But, these are new models. Availability is 60 - 90 days out per Sightron USA.

Nightforce is available now. For my purposes, should I get the zero stop? Since I have a good range finder, I could save some money by going with moa/moa instead of mil/mil (not a significant amount).

Help!!!!!

Blue Avenger
01-29-2011, 10:56 AM
older sightrons will be discount priced with new models coming in. ;)

helotaxi
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
You said yourself that you don't need a tactical scope. For target shooting and hunting, then forgo the "tactical" scope features and the associated price increase and buy the best optical quality that you can. For Nightforce money, you can get a Zeiss hunting scope that will make your eyes pop. IMO a point-blank zero is much better suited to big game hunting than a graduated reticule. For target shooting a really simple reticule, i.e. fine crosshair, fine crosshair with a target dot or a light duplex, works best.

txgolfer45
01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
You said yourself that you don't need a tactical scope. For target shooting and hunting, then forgo the "tactical" scope features and the associated price increase and buy the best optical quality that you can. For Nightforce money, you can get a Zeiss hunting scope that will make your eyes pop. IMO a point-blank zero is much better suited to big game hunting than a graduated reticule. For target shooting a really simple reticule, i.e. fine crosshair, fine crosshair with a target dot or a light duplex, works best.

But, wouldn't you still want target turrets to be able to dial in the various yardages and windage? Scopes like my Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 have a nice simple reticule. But, that reticule with covered adjustments really is good only for 50-300 yds with guestimate of holdover on the further out yardages. I appreciate the scope clarity on Swarovski and Zeiss scopes with simple reticules. But, reaching out for longer shots seems to be more difficult without the ability to either pick a reticle line or BDC to allow for bullet drop.

helotaxi
01-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Are you actually planning on taking shots on game longer than a point-blank zero will allow? If not, all the "tactical" features are largely irrelevant. If you are, then pick a reticule or target turrets. Matching mil/mil or MOA/MOA adds a lot to the cost that for a non-tactical shooter isn't going to make a difference. I'd go with a ballistic reticule over turrets if long shots were in the cards for the sake of expediency, but me personally, I'd more likely avoid the long range shots on game.

txgolfer45
01-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Long range on hogs or coyotes, sure. Deer, absolutely not. I also want to play at long range on steel or paper targets.

texwelder
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I have several Bushnell Elite 4200 6x-24x with 50mm obj. with tactical turrets. Like you, I mainly shoot paper and predators. After i get my loads determined, I build a dope card out to what ever range I feel comfortable with, then just dial up the right number of come-ups and start shooting. The scopes are very clear, draw lots of light, and they dont break the bank.

Just my .02

texwelder

helotaxi
01-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Fair enough, I consider coyotes and wild pigs vermin, not game. Zeiss and Swarovski make excellent hunting holdover reticules and would be my choices if I were looking for a single scope with a budget in the $1k range for a hunting rifle.

I have 2 of the Bushnell 6-24x50 Tacticals as well, one FFP with illumination and mil turrets, the other SFP with MOA turrets. Neither would find their way on to a rifle I would carry for hunting. The first is going on a tactical build that will likely be used for target work at various ranges and the other currently resides on an AR in .204 that is a pure bench gun. They're great scopes, but neither is what I would consider suitable for hunting; too big and too heavy. Nightforce scopes weigh a ton as well.

If you do decide that you really want all that extra stuff and don't want to break the bank finding out that all the bells and whistles aren't needed, the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 Tactical is available on closeout from Natchez for $540. It has an illuminated FFP mil-dot reticule and tactical turrets graduated in mils as well. For the price, I'm seriously considering getting one just to stash away "in case" I need the 6-24 for a 110BA in .338 Lapua that happens to follow me home one day...

txgolfer45
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I decided on the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. I got to handle one on Saturday. It had everything I was looking for. Pricey. But, you do get what you pay for.

jwpark
02-04-2011, 05:24 AM
If it were me, I'd wait for the Vortex Viper PST to come out.

helotaxi
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
The Viper PSTs are out and shipping.

Captain Finlander
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM

+1 I don't know anyone including myself who plays with the windage and elevation knobs inside normal ranges. I have em on my varmint scope and use them when at the range but there is rarely enough time to use them while hunting.

txgolfer45
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I may pick up a Vortex Viper PST down the road to upgrade one of my other rifle's optics. But, I want to wait until these scopes are out awhile and others confirm the Viper PST doesn't have any issues since it is a new product.

tammons
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Milhash II is superb.

I had an IOR FFP scope with milhash II/MP8 and it was great and if I had to pick one reticle that
was my favorite for hunting, that would be it.

One thing is that is a FFP scope which is great for hunting, but as you zoom the reticle gets thicker.
I have not looked through a PST but basically at low power the lines will be very very thin at 4X and thick at 16X.

It might be so thick it could cause problems shooting a Pdog at a long distance. Perfect for normal long range hunting.
The thickness on the PST is conjecture since I have not used one, just based on past experience with another FFP scope.

If you are willing to fork out for a nightforce, I would take a serious look at IOR scopes.
Specifically the 2-12X with illuminated MP8 milhash II reticle if you ever need 2X on the bottom end.

They also make a 3.5-18X FFP illuminated MP8 reticle scope.

http://www.valdada.com/catalog/db21c65d-2429-4509-b1d5-f4dbea62f0b9.aspx

Nefarioud
02-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I decided on the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. I got to handle one on Saturday. It had everything I was looking for. Pricey. But, you do get what you pay for.

Did you get this yet, which reticle?

txgolfer45
02-09-2011, 12:02 AM

Did you get this yet, which reticle?

It was delivered yesterday. I got the NP-R1 reticle.

Nefarioud
02-10-2011, 02:50 AM
Nice! That's my favorite I have a few NP-R2's left to convert. Eventually they'll all be NP-R1's. They're a little busy, yet easy to get used to, come in handy in a variety of situations, and eventually hard to do without. Enjoy!