PDA

View Full Version : Has Savage Improved Their Recoil Lugs?

jkrispies
10-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I've got about a six month old Model 10 (old style-- not the fancy new accustock). I keep reading that the recoil lugs are stamped and have varying thicknesses: accuracy seekers are advised to replace them. However, I've done some basic caliper measurements (it's still on the gun at this point) and the thicknesses are consistent for me. Furthermore, it has the appearance of being a machined part rather than a stamped one. Am I just not looking close enough, or has Savage identified a weak point and fixed it? Anyway, I'm going to be swapping out the barrel soon, and I'm willing to spend the money for a new recoil lug if need be... I'm just wondering how necessary it is??? Thanks for opinions, J

sinman
10-16-2009, 10:50 PM
how can you measure a recoil lug for straightness on the gun when the important part is covered by the barrel nut/action?

jkrispies
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Again, I just did a basic measurement of the thickness on the exposed part of the lug below the barrel nut. I'm guessing that if the exposed half is consistent from exposed bottom to exposed top, then it's a good guess that the unexposed upper half is also consistent.

The decision I'm down to is whether or not I should just order a recoil lug now so that it arrives about the same time as my barrel so I can swap it immediately. Or, should I wait until the barrel is off the gun to do a thorough measurement to verify that the factory lug is officially consistent... or discover it's not and have to order and wait for the custom part to be shipped to me before finishing the swap. Since I'm going to be using a buddy's barrel vice, wrench, and headspace guages (he's going to walk me through my first Savage barrel swap), the delay will slightly complicate matters.

If the consensus is that all factory lugs are lost causes, then I might as well just get the order in ASAP.

sinman
10-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Order one up, I have never found one that has been close to an aftermarket. If you have a surface grinder you could fix a factory one but most people do no have one.

Smokey262
10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
For as little as they cost you will kick yourself in the butt when you get flyers wondering if it was the stock lug

Just do it and be done with it, then you won't have to worry

dcloco
10-17-2009, 01:05 AM
I always replace mine. Have removed too many bent Rem/Savage/Win/Etc recoil lugs. Some are obviously tweaked when you remove the action from the stock. Others are noticed when barrels are removed.

jkrispies
10-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Can anybody recommend a good one for me to purchase and from where? It seems like all the ones I'm seeing are large shank.

groupshooter22
10-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Northlander and SSS both have them and both are board sponsers.

Dirk
10-17-2009, 06:31 AM
I always replace mine. Have removed too many bent Rem/Savage/Win/Etc recoil lugs. Some are obviously tweaked when you remove the action from the stock. Others are noticed when barrels are removed.

So, you replace Win M70 recoil lugs?????? Tell us how you do that please.

http://michaelscherz.com/Photos/win_actionbig.jpg

Eric in NC
10-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Again, I just did a basic measurement of the thickness on the exposed part of the lug below the barrel nut. I'm guessing that if the exposed half is consistent from exposed bottom to exposed top, then it's a good guess that the unexposed upper half is also consistent.

You are measuring thickness - not flatness. The lugs generally aren't flat. You can't tell that with it on the gun.

acasto
10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
How does the rifle shoot now with the factory recoil lug? Flyers?

northlander
10-17-2009, 10:03 AM
I had a customer here yesterday asking the same question. I took out a bag of the Savage Small Shank Lugs and had him pick out three of them. I laid them on the surface of the work bench and by pressing down in opposite corners you could both see and hear the lug rocking. Then I took out a few of the bent ones that came off actual Savage Actions. Last point was to hand him one of ours that was CNC machined, hardened and then ground for flat and parallel. This was a no brainer sale.

Savage Lugs are bent when the alignment pin is stamped into their lug. They are also a little on the thin side for any heavy recoiling caliber. For years shooters have been complaining to Savage about this very point. Savage has always claimed that their lugs are adequate as designed. Now take a look at the Target Actions. They have a much thicker, surface ground lug with a separate alignment pin. Maybe the Target Actions (accuracy +++) need more help or maybe the lugs are marginal on the rest of their actions.

Jim Briggs
NSS

358Hammer
10-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Great Analogy Jim!

I recently had reason to orient the muscle brake after head spacing a barrel. The brake was a few degrees off. I did not wish to drive five miles to the shop and crank up a lathe, so I just measured recoil lugs for the proper thickness. The lug was .005 or .006 thicker in the barrel band area. Problem solved.

Neal

jkrispies
10-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I had a customer here yesterday asking the same question. I took out a bag of the Savage Small Shank Lugs and had him pick out three of them. I laid them on the surface of the work bench and by pressing down in opposite corners you could both see and hear the lug rocking. Then I took out a few of the bent ones that came off actual Savage Actions. Last point was to hand him one of ours that was CNC machined, hardened and then ground for flat and parallel. This was a no brainer sale.
Jim Briggs
NSS

I just ordered a lug from Jim-- VERY helpful and informative on much more than just the lug. I'm sure I'll be buying more from him in the future!

dcloco
10-17-2009, 03:18 PM

So, you replace Win M70 recoil lugs?????? Tell us how you do that please.

LOL! Fingers typing before brain matter memory engaged. ugh!