PDA

View Full Version : Receiver mount holes offcenter

padd54
01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I just bought a second hand Savage Model 12 6.5mm-284 with very low round count count (less than 100) and discovered that all the scope mount holes are 1/2 hole width off-center. Is this something the factory will take care of under warrenty or do I need to take it a Smith?

Thanks,
Ray

ellobo
01-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Bought second hand I doubt Savage will do anything. It is probably why this rifle was sold. There have been a rash of off-center scope mtg holes lately. You will probably have to get Burris Z ring scope rings and use the inserts to get on target without using all the adjustement in your scope windage.
El Lobo

Tim300wsm
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
to get it fixed shouldnt be to expensive did you get a deal on the rifle? if you did it should still be worth it ;)

padd54
01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for replies, yea I figured Savage wouldn't help. This is so far off center it makes the scope look canted and the rings would be canted if I got the scope lined up properly. I think I need to find a Smith that can fix the problem.
As far as deal, I got the rifle with an EGW 20 moa base and a Neil Jones bushing die and a Forster BR seater. I was supposed to get a Redding Body Die but he said he never got it from thr original owner, I am the third lucky owner. I paid $650 shipped to my house, is that a deal? here is the link;

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/6-5x284-norma-stainless-fluted-savag-65067/

pdog06
01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I would tell the seller to give my money back, or give me a refund for enough to fix the problem! If he is a stand-up guy he will work with you. Did he tell you of any problem with it? I'm sure he knew about it if he shot it.

sharpshooter
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Does it hit paper?

cadet3
01-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Step 1. Call savage customer service and see what they say first.

padd54
01-28-2011, 07:47 PM
The previous owner states that he did not notice it and that it shot fine for him, I have not shot it due to the holes being off-center. I don't have Burris Z-rings with inserts and I don't have enough windage to get it bore-sighted properly using my laser set-up.
He did offer to buy it back.

Do you guys think I got a good price on the rifle, without this problem?

Thanks for all the insight.
Ray

pdog06
01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Do you guys think I got a good price on the rifle, without this problem?

Doesnt really matter as of now. The fact is that it does have an issue.. If you cant shoot the gun then you did not get a good deal for your hard earned cash!

It could be that the old owner was using a scope with alot more windage, so he was able to adjust his enough to zero it in and not think there was an issue. Only he knows the truth.

Bottom line is that if you ruled out all your other components and still have a problem, and he agreed to take it back, then I would take him up on his offer. The only other option is to spend more money to get different components(Burris Sig Zee rings w/ inserts or a scope with more adjustment).

Seems kinda odd to me that you are the third owner and the first two only shot it under 100 rounds. If there truly is an issue they probably knew about it.