PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Mauser neck down question

trappst
01-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm considering necking down Norma or RWS (if available) 7mm Mauser brass to 22 cal. Considering it for a couple reasons but they aren't really relevant to the question so I'll spare you the details.

So, has anyone here necked down Norma or RWS brass to 22 cal? How about 6mm? If you have for either, can you tell me what the neck thickness is?

Just trying to get an idea on how much would need to be turned off. Thanks!!!

dcloco
01-28-2011, 12:41 AM
6x57 is rather doable. So is the 22x57.

Neck thickness of your brass will be determined by the reamer you will be using. I would neck turn the brass 0.003 to 0.004" prior to necking down though. Lot nicer to start off with coencentric necks than trying to fix after that fact.

Why not just run a 22/6mm or 22/6mm AI? 3900+ with 75 gr bullets is just a touch fun on prairie dogs.

If I have a plethora of x57 brass, I would HIGHLY consider a 6.5x57.

trappst
01-28-2011, 10:37 AM
dcloco, you're on the right track! I will be running a 22-6mm. Sinman is re-chambering an 8 twist 223 rem for me. I'm thinking about using some higher quality brass in this one plus I load for a couple 6mm Rem's and it would be nice to have different headstamps for the various rifles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 22-7x57mm Mauser the same thing as a 22-6mm? 7x57mm Mauser is the parent case for the 6mm Rem.

Good idea of turning first...that would help keep things round during the neck down.

Kinda thinking out loud I guess. If it turns into more effort than it's worth, I'll just stick with winchester 6mm Rem brass.