PDA

View Full Version : Action Difference

Corprin
01-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I have tried search, but either my interwebs skills are failing, or the search function is.... I vote the latter!

Anyway, I know the differences between the savage 1x/1xx actions up until they went ahead and changed them again on us.

With regards to the physical differences between the side bolt catch and bottom bolt catch actions...
1. Is the bolt spacing the same (1x:1x and 1xx:1xx)
2. Is the inletting the same, and if not, what are the differences?
3. Can we get the new action information added to the current action difference thread here http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.0.html?
4. When will Savage settle on an action design so they can allow the aftermarket to catch up? There is a reason people buy the Rem 700!

358Hammer
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
4. When will Savage settle on an action design so they can allow the aftermarket to catch up? There is a reason people buy the Rem 700!

1. Maybe because it is more expensive?
2. Is it because there may be more after market stuff out there to improve the original design?
3. I do know from experience that it can't be customer service.
4. Maybe the customer doesn't know that factory out of the box Savage barrels out shoot 99% of Remington barrels.

Neal

J.Baker
01-27-2011, 10:49 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.0.html

Corprin
01-27-2011, 11:20 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.0.html

Yep, but doesn't specifically mention bottom bolt-catch actions.

csam
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
4. Maybe the customer doesn't know that factory out of the box Savage barrels out shoot 99% of Remington barrels.
[/quote]

Problem is not with the actions, it is the stock. I have a SA centerfeed, and the problem is that my stock tends to out suck 99% of all the other stocks out there. Not insurmountable. I am trying to make up my mind on a solution.

sharpshooter
01-28-2011, 01:02 AM
What the hell is a "bottom bolt catch" action???

Uncle Jack
01-28-2011, 05:32 AM
".....What the **** is a "bottom bolt catch" action???"

Now, now, now, Fred.....be nice!

uj

pdog06
01-28-2011, 06:36 AM
I think he means the newer style actions with the smooth barrel nut and the bolt release in front of the trigger guard instead of on the side of the action.

Corprin
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow, pardon me for using incorrect terminology :o I am sure glad I got that response here, and not after hours of trying to get you on the phone at the shop. May have quickly altered my impressions of you.

And yes, I am wondering the differences between the newest iteration of the Savage action. The ones where they moved the bolt release (bolt catch) from the right rear (side) of the action, to the trigger-guard (bottom) of the action. There is nothing specifically mentioned in the previously mentioned thread that mentions the changed design. It does, however, mention actions "2006-present", but as the side bolt release actions are still being sold, I assumed the information had not been updated yet. I am also curious to see which parts are interchangeable between the actions beyond that of barrels and barrel nuts.

IF that information is on the forum, please help out my searching skills and point me in the right direction. If it is not, lets get that information into the stickied post so presumably nobody will have to ask again.

jonbearman
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
The earlier nuts have the same thread and nut as the barrel you may currently have.I think only the target actions have the large shank barrel and the thread is bigger.I hope someone can clarify this.

Tim300wsm
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
the newer wsm has a large shank barrel as well as the rum and the 110 ba also ive never had a problem getting ahold of fred sometimes you gotta call a couple times but that happens with all small businesses its no reason to cry the work is worth the wait

J.Baker
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Screw spacing on the bottom bolt release actions is the same as those with the side release: 4.40" on SA's and 5.062" on LA's. The bottom release button/lever covers the front action screw and needs to be pushed back when removing it.

And don't mind Fred, he just said exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Wasn't a slam, just had no clue what you were talking about.

sharpshooter
01-28-2011, 07:28 PM
There are some differences on the new " bottom bolt catch" actions, better known as a TRIGGER GUARD BOLT RELEASE. This style is used on the classics as well as the accustock models.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/tgbr.jpg As you can see in the pic the sear return spring is different and also on the opposite side. There is a pocket machined into the receiver to hold the spring in place. There is no thumb lever for the spring to push against with this style so it had to be modified to the other side.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/tgbr1.jpg
With no thumb lever, there is no need for a clearance cut on the right side of the receiver.