PDA

View Full Version : New Savage owner

jkoenig1980
01-27-2011, 01:20 AM
So I have always wanted a Savage in the safe. Academy here had there Stevens 200 marked down to 179. So i picked one up in 7mm08. I have a couple questions for you Savage guys.

1. Is it better to install an aftermarket trigger or just have a smith adjust this one?
2. Im sure since i just picked it up it is a center feed gun. What stocks are available for this gun?
3. If i just decide to paint the stock what paint works best?

Thanks

dcloco
01-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut!!!

No adjustment on your trigger if it is a Stevens. You can put a lighter weight spring wire on, but not much else. Jard has new triggers for Savage/Stevens that I prefer over any of the other aftermarket triggers available.

Several stocks available. Just pick how you want to use the rifle and go from there.

Krylon for plastic. Somebody help me out with the actual name. I prefer the satin finish.

jkoenig1980
01-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Thanks buddy. I looked at Jard triggers just now. Honestly im not a bench rest shooter. Im a hard core hunter and it looks like Jared triggers are 1#ish. Im looking for more of a nice crisp 2.5#-3.5# area. So ill prob keep this one a sporty. However after surfing around the pics on this site i may change my mind. All my other deer rifles are Rem 700s BDLs This is my first bolt gun w/ a synth stock

jkoenig1980
01-27-2011, 02:00 AM
Also i know a guy selling a Savage M10 factory stock. He took it off when he bought the gun. Is the Savage stock better than the one that comes on the stevens line?

pdog06
01-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Also i know a guy selling a Savage M10 factory stock. He took it off when he bought the gun. Is the Savage stock better than the one that comes on the stevens line?

same stock, different color if it is the same style! However, the model 10's(10FP,FCP models) were also available with some nice stocks, like the Choate, HS Precision, and Mcmillan. These are MUCH nicer stocks but have a varmint contour barrel channel, which would swallow up your Stevens barrel. The model 10("G" model) came with a wood stock, which is a better than the basic synthetics as well.

Stockys Stocks has some nice laminate stocks available for centerfeed actions that you might wanna check out.

triggers: replace factory with a Jard, Rifle Basix, Timney, or Sharpshooter Supply.

Krylon Fusion paint for the plastic stocks works well if you decide to paint the original. If you mess it up those stocks only cost $30 brand new, which should also tell you how good they are...LOL

jglover_81
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Another trigger option for a hunting gun would be a savage 3 screw trigger from Jim @ northlander

tammons
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
SSS trigger all the way
Not many stocks. I have a B+C duramax converted to centerfeed in the FS area.
Fusion paint works the best IMO.

Here is one I did a while back with a Sea sponge

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/Sav1.jpg

So I have always wanted a Savage in the safe. Academy here had there Stevens 200 marked down to 179. So i picked one up in 7mm08. I have a couple questions for you Savage guys.

1. Is it better to install an aftermarket trigger or just have a smith adjust this one?
2. Im sure since i just picked it up it is a center feed gun. What stocks are available for this gun?
3. If i just decide to paint the stock what paint works best?

Thanks

Corprin
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
SSS trigger all the way
Not many stocks. I have a B+C duramax converted to centerfeed in the FS area.
Fusion paint works the best IMO.

Here is one I did a while back with a Sea sponge

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/Sav1.jpg

Not many stocks compared to what?
HS Precision
B&C
McMillian
Stockade
SSS
Boyds'
Stockie's
and many more

You are lucky to have a SA, the LA rifles have even fewer options.

tammons
01-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I did not know B+C was making centerfeed stocks.

When did they start selling them ??

Choate sells centerfeed stocks.

Corprin
01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I did not know B+C was making centerfeed stocks.

When did they start selling them ??

Choate sells centerfeed stocks.

I was using a duramaxx on my CF LA in 6.5x55. I had taken the 300wm box mag, and shimmed it into place. Took about 30min to get the magazine in place and working as a blind mag. Their options are limited, but they do make stocks for the LA.

CF LA riding in a factory Savage target stock inletted for a SF LA.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/corprin/IMG_3001.jpg

tammons
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Meant short action centerfeed stocks.
The OP has a short action centerfeed rifle.
When did B+C start making those ??

AFAIK not many companies are making aftermarket centerfeed stocks.

As far as aftermarket, I know choate does and Richards, but that is it AFAIK.

Corprin
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Meant short action centerfeed stocks.
The OP has a short action centerfeed rifle.
When did B+C start making those ??

AFAIK not many companies are making aftermarket centerfeed stocks.

As far as aftermarket, I know choate does and Richards, but that is it AFAIK.

I am a big idiot... sorry for that.

No duramaxx, but they do make the Medalist Tactical for the SA CF.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

tammons
01-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Wow, thats a good thing. Maybe the duramax and carbelite next.
B+C makes nice stocks.