PDA

View Full Version : Noticeable difference between pre-fit vs custom chambered barrel?

jwpark
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Okay,

I'm looking to do another Savage rifle build but I'm wondering if there's any noticeable accuracy difference on going with a pre-fit barrel vs going with a blank barrel custom fit by a gunsmith.

Thanks
Jay

mudpig
01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
The nice thing about Savage barrels is that all you do is have them chambered by gunsmith or factory then screw them down until they contact the 'GO' gauge and you are done. As long as the smith or factory reams the chamber straight there should be no real difference. Only difference might be if you want a specific bolt to barrel clearance or if you want a different then standard chamber cut, that is where a smith would be of benefit.

Eric in NC
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
That would really depend on the quality of the pre-fit barrel and the quality of your gunsmith (and his equipment).

Could go either way.

Blue Avenger
01-25-2011, 11:45 PM
the advantage to the pre-fit is you only have to deal with one person if it goes south.
A good smith will check the blank out well to cover his ass. new if a bad barrel slipped out to a mediocre smith, you might have a new barrel that is 2"@100 and your stuck with it.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
The advantage to getting a "Custom" chambered barrel over an "off the shelf" pre fit is you order it and it comes the way "you" want it.
I've got a few "custom" chambered barrels and every one of them is a shooter.
But, I picked up an A&B in .221 Fireball that Midway had on sale, rather than go with a more expensive (three time as much) custom job. It turned out to be a "real" shooter. Never would have thought that it, being a pre fit, off the shelf barrel that it would be so accurate. Pleasantly surprised. ;D Maybe just lucky? ;)

sinman
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Custom prefits can be had just the way you want it, thats what I offer, any caliber, any chamber, and twist, any length, any contour, ect.

82boy
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Aren't all Savage barrels that use a barrel nut pre-fit ?

Whether or not it is done by a gunsmith or a manufacture doesn't matter as much as long as they are done right. There are gunsmiths that should not be called gunsmiths but butchers, just because they can chamber a barrel doesn't mean they can or they should. There is also manufactures they don't always get barrels chambered right, again just because they can doesn't mean they should. The other thing is finding someone that will stand behind their work, and would be able to figure out and correct a problem if it was to occur. Again it all depends on who is doing the work, this is why I prefer to go with SSS because I know without a doubt it will be done right.

Now if your asking about getting a barrel custom to your specks or what is on the shelf, always get what you want. For the money we pay for barrels there should be no compromise. The barrel should be the twist rate, length , and profile you desire. On calibers sometimes what you want is not available off the shelf, this may be the advantage to going with a gunsmith.

If you was to compair two barrels one between a good gunsmith, and a good manufacture, you may find that there is no difference. There is a few factors that also skew this results. One to truly do a test on what is better a person would need a far larger example than 2, it would take 20 barrels from each to be scientific about it. The second thing to consider is barrels have their own personality, it is very possible to get two barrels made by the same maker, chambered by the same person, on the same day, with the same reamer, and they both behave completely different. Last, dose the person testing the barrels have the skill to truly tell which barrel is better ? Unless you are Tony Boyer, chances are you will not be able to tell the subtile difference in a barrel. Tony shoots several thousands of rounds a year, and goes through dozzens of barrels, and has done this for many years.

jwpark
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for sharing you knowledge guys

Jay