PDA

View Full Version : model 11 lw hunter

bluealtered
01-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I noticed while looking at the shot show photos on gun blast that the lightweight hunter shown there had checking on the stock, unlike the photo on the savage site. Does make it look better. Also ran across a lightweight ruger 77 compact at the store, (listed at six pounds, 16.5" barrel) that was very light to handle and priced at $589, our model 11 will have to come down quite a bit to compete with that price. Heres hoping it does. blue

PRM
01-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Pics I saw of the Model LW Hunter at SHOT were MUCH nicer than what the Savage website is displaying. 16.6" barrel on the Ruger is awfully short, not sure how much comparison there is. But 20" is short too, so who knows. I wish the Model 11 LWH had a 22", but I may try one anyway. Could always rebarrel. Would like to know if the Model LWH can accept typical Savage short action stocks. Kind of like to have a composite stock on it.

sharpshooter
01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
It will accept standard tupperware, matter of fact the weight between the 2 is within an ounce.

Cover Dog
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I handled the gun at the SHOT Show last week. Nice and light, but the thing I didn't like about it was the bolt fluting. To me the fluting looked too wide or too deep or both for a nice light weight rifle. It looked to masculine for me maybe the twist was to tight, I would prefer more flutes that were thinner and that could accomplish the same thing.

bluealtered
01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
So then, there is a checked stock coming out with this rifle? One of the problems with living in a rural area like mine is that you simply can't find a rifle to look at before laying down your money, so all you can do is hope it's really what you want when it gets there, or drive 350 miles to Boise round trip to try and find one.

It's good to know that the weight differance is about the same in stocks, one less thing to change. Now if i could just find out what the price will be here, any more insight for those of us waiting for this model? blue

Cover Dog
01-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Sorry but I just don't remember about the checkering. You see so many guns when your there they just start to run together. According to their 2011 catalog the pic looks like no checkering but the specs in the back of the catalog say, stained hardwood, cut checkering, pillar bedding, hinged floorplate, accu-trigger w/4 shot cap.

Their dealer price list (confidential according to Savage) show the dealer price at $875 retail and $744 dealer for either the LA or SA. As usual many mistakes in the Savage catalog As stated above the specs show a hinged floorplate where the price list says a detachable box mag.

So now the guessing begins.....

PRM
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
It will accept standard tupperware, matter of fact the weight between the 2 is within an ounce.

Good to hear. I am interested in synthetic for the all-weather aspect. I actually prefer wood stock, but for those really wet days synthetic gives me a little more peace of mind (whether justified or not is debatable). I will probably put a Duramaxx on it as I've been happy with those before. Hope the action screw spacing is compatible. I would really like an ultra lightweight composite, but I'm not aware of anyone making one for the Savage.

Picture I saw of the 11 LWH at SHOT had checkering and looked much nicer than the one pictured on the website. They also drilled out strips on the bottom of the forend to save weight. Can't say I prefer the look of that, but it's not a showstopper either.

I agree the bolt fluting looks too tight to me. I would prefer it be wider with fewer flutes. Not sure I'm describing that well, but a more coarse thread might look better. Not sure what the weight implications are either way. They've obviously done a good job with weight to get it to 5.5# with a wood stock. Guessing it would be as light as a Montana with a similar carbon composite stock. Certainly would add to the price though.

pdog06
01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I would really like an ultra lightweight composite, but I'm not aware of anyone making one for the Savage.

Manners makes them for Savage

bluealtered
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I see that budsgunshop is listing the new LW hunter .260, (out of stock of course) at $701 shipped. They are using the savage web site photo, does anybody know where theres a good photo of what it really looks like with the checkering? blue

J.Baker
01-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Swapping the stock out on the new Lightweight Hunter really kind of defeats the purpose of paying the premium to get this model. Savage has hogged out as much material as they can on the wood stock to lighten it, so switching to an aftermarket stock would make it considerably heavier...even a synthetic aftermarket stock. As sharpshooter noted, you could go to a factory synthetic stock with minimal weight gain, but again...why pay the premium?

bluealtered
01-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I have to agree on leaving it wood if it's as light as the tupperware. My concern at this point is simply finding a good, real photo of it before i plunk down the money. blue

PRM
01-31-2011, 06:27 AM
Here's a couple of pictures:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4842410/4

I'm more interested in the all weather aspects of synthetic vs. wood for those really nasty days in the woods. The carbon/kevlar stocks are quite a bit lighter than wood or basic synthetic stocks such as a Duramaxx (and you pay for it.$$). I agree the wood may be as light as a typical synthetic stock.

bluealtered
01-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks PRM, thats just what i was l looking for. And thats what i was going to do to the stock. So now it's just waiting to see when they show up and who has the best price. blue