PDA

View Full Version : Who am I?

NLPeaden
01-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Been starting out since I graduated from school.

First hitch was that a transcript took until 11 Jan to get placed in the mail. Second was not actually having money to get to work with, driving 500 miles a week until I got an apartment. Interim solution I figured would be a credit card. Neither the bank I have done business with for 8 years nor Citibank would issue credit to me.

The apartment complex I found said I didn't exist and that I needed to call them back to straighten out the fact that I have had no credit record.

Now, because I don't have a credit history, my employer wouldn't even open an account for my utilities service that I'm an engineer for. This is the same place I worked for as an intern in college.

So I have this haiku about how humans have been degraded by technology:

I sat quietly
for 20 long minutes
in a lasting queue

---
EDIT: Yay! Apparently my previous slumlord issued me a notice of non-payment for a month which I was not legally liable for (January, lease termination via hand-delivered and signed written notice) in the first place. I hope he can cut me my check for my security deposit really quickly, after Friday, he'll be in violation of the law.
---

I dream of a world in which mankind exists to each others not as numbers, but as neighbors.

kleeber
01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Hang in there, Nick, and don't go too far with the anti-technology sentiment. Otherwise folks will end up writing haikus in your honor, such as:

Why can't I get this
Stupid computer to print?
Time to buy some stamps.

(My personal favorite from http://ronrecord.com/Poems/unabomber.html )

sharpshooter
01-26-2011, 01:48 AM
If it gets to the point of running out of patience, just walk in the office with a loaded gun.......I will guarantee you within 2 hours the whole world will know more about you than you do...via CNN.

OF COURSE I'M JOKING...... ;D

Nor Cal Mikie
01-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the "real world". You think things are tough now, give it a few more years. Just part of life. Learn to deal with it or, dig a hole, jump in and have someone throw the dirt on you. ;)

helotaxi
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I will guarantee you within 2 hours the whole world will know more about you than you do...via CNN.

And even if they don't know jack about you, they'll still act like they know more about you than you do.

Eric in NC
01-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Life gets tough sometimes and getting an education and start out in a career is damn inconvenient.

Things get better - just hang in there and work through the crap bit by bit.

Tim300wsm
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
i just started my third year in an apprentice program i work two jobs and go to tech school I'm barely able to get by but every year it gets better dont let it bug you just dont knock your girl up then your goat f****d ask my buddy brendon my girl is about to graduate then with two incomes ill be doin fine

Blue Avenger
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
we have good credit, but have never had a car loan. always paid cash when we needed a newer one. wife went to cosign for our daughter and found out she had no credit rating for car loans even though the rest of her rating was great. LOL 12 banks turned her down! She did get the car in the end.

to many thing are now attached to your credit rating. some places won't hire you if it is to low now :( that is wrong!

NLPeaden
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Well...

Banks still have no interest in me, but my credit union has over the years upped my credit card line to $5k (10x what I asked for, and a lot more than I need.) The American financial system is still in shambles for people my age. I had a cousin take a loan for a low deposit (he should have kept renting) and he pays about 5% of his monthly payment in insurance now. The longer I live in an apartment, the more I want to pay 100% in cash for 50 acres in property and two 12'x36' used prefabbed buildings for $30k. I only want an airstrip and a rifle range these days.

The world never really changes, just stay afraid of what people enter in computers.

--Nick

sixonetonoffun
05-14-2014, 11:03 PM
I've reinvented myself so many times now... anyway not about me. Just set obtainable goals. Evaluate them as needed and.adapt, grow. Keep pushing forward. Its what we do. Todays challenge of getting a new lease is still better then living out of storage locker showering at snap fitness.

Stockrex
05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
we have good credit, but have never had a car loan. always paid cash when we needed a newer one. wife went to cosign for our daughter and found out she had no credit rating for car loans even though the rest of her rating was great. LOL 12 banks turned her down! She did get the car in the end.

to many thing are now attached to your credit rating. some places won't hire you if it is to low now :( that is wrong!

This is reality, you will have to play their system even if you don't want to else they short list ya.

I found this out the hard way in college.
never bought anything that I could not pay cash for. arrrrgh.

2 words, credit union.
Join a local credit union, have your pay checks deposited there. Open a checking a/c and meet the loan officer and get loan, for your car, or get THEIR credit card,
my first credit card had a limit of $500, I asked for $300.
the trick is to take a loan every 3 to 5 years and make like 3to 6 payments and pay it off. the amount does not matter, it can be a $2000 car loan, self improvement loan.

hang in there, don't be late in paying anything, negotiate with the apt guys if possible.

yobuck
05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
How many times should one be willing to reinvent himself?
I started working in the early 50s. All my friends were working class people.
All of us moved into our own homes when we married. Most of our wives didnt have jobs.
Credit cards didnt exist nor were they needed. Savings and loans held the mortgages on most houses.
Weekly wage, was the criteria for your monthly monthly mortgage payment. GET THIS, they wouldnt count
the wifes earnings due to the fact most got pregnate and stopped working. AMBITION was the key to success.
Those that had it did well, some extremly well. Those that didnt just got by. Finding a job was easy, there were
large and small factorys everywhere. WAKE UP AMERICA.

wbm
05-15-2014, 12:27 PM
The exact same thing happened to my wife and I when we moved to Calfornia years ago to work at Channel Islands National Park....we couldn't get credit because as one agent said "you have not been in debt." Duh? Finally went to sears and applied for a Sears card....hey we got one. Then we bought some stuff we didn't really need and went in debt. Guess what? Then we were eligible for a Master Card. Wow! Who knew?

EFBell
05-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Nick, good to see you are still alive and kicking...

NLPeaden
07-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Nick, good to see you are still alive and kicking...

Hope to be so well after I've passed. Ideas are forever; so long as they are remembered.

RIP Col. Jeff Cooper.