PDA

View Full Version : Hand Primers

Pages : 1 [2]

Woodser
10-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Also had two Lee hand primers that the handles broke off, but they were the original Lee (circa 1970's) and not the AutoPrime. I now have the AutoPrime and have not had one problem with it.

Skunce
10-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I have two Lee Auto-Primes. I keep one set up for small and one set up for large primers. The shell holders swap out very quickly. Buy two for the price of the RCBS.

BobT
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I have both as well, a fairly new Lee and a very old RCBS. The Lee is faster but the RCBS allows me to seat primers much more consistently. I still use the RCBS for everything except when priming cut down .25ACP brass for my muzzle loader and .45 ACP .

Bob

2recon
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
if you follow the instructions & grease the pivot points..you didn't get broken levers..also gives much better feel

Elkbane
10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I had 2 Lee's and broke handles on both of them over about a 4 year period (yes, they were greased). The cut-out in the tool is not large enough to handle WSM cases, so ai had to prime them on the press (bummer). And it was really hard on the thumbs after awhile.

I switched over about a year ago to a RCBS Universal hand primer and couldn't be happier with it. You squeeze with your fingers, not your thumbs, and it uses no shellholders - just opposing spring loaded plungers that hold the shell centered over the primer hole. I'd use Lee's again if I had too, but this one is easy to use, has better tactile feel upon seating, seems sturdier, and requires no adjustments when switching calibers, unless you change from LR to SR cases.
Elkbane

MikeCTX
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
As stated previously, I have a Lee and have had no issues with it. However, curious if anyone has used the Sinclair or K&M single primer - a bit slower than using one with a tray, but they do appear to be made of better material.

Baja_Traveler
10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Just primed 400 .204 rounds using my Lee while watching TV. It does get hard on the thumbs after awhile. I'm considering Plasti Dipping the handle to add a bit of cushion. My only real complaint has already been mentioned - If they made the primer tray 1/8" bigger in diameter a primer pack would fit!

JCalhoun
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I have two Lee's and, like Elkbane, have only had one issue with them. They are too narrow for a 7WSM to fit. I had to open one of them a little bit with a Dremel tool. No biggie, took maybe 10 minutes.

If you are only going to load for one cartridge you may not want to invest in the package of shell holders. Also be aware that the priming tool shell holders and die shell holders are not the same.

czgunner
11-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Anybody try the Hornady?

geocole
11-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I first bought a Lee to prime my cases. After awhile the handle broke and I had to buy a RCBS. The RCBS was a lot harder to set up and change from small to large primers.
I had ordered a handle for the Lee and got a second primer so I could load both large and small primers.
Everything worked good with the Lee and I set aside the RCBS.

Now that I am older and started using Wolff primers I went back to the RCBS as it is easier to push the primers in. The RCBS has the longer handle.

I still use the Lee on small rifle and pistol when using up the last of CCI primers but need the RCBS when using Wolff.

kelbro
11-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I have two RCBS primers. One set up for large, one for small. Takes less than a minute to change shellholders. Loaded many thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Never tried any others so I can't really compare. Priming 200 rounds gives you a pretty good grip workout.

durango
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I have had a Lee for eons-Yeah, I broke the handle, they sent me a new one and it's still going. I don't even know where the primer arms for my presses might be!! I know this is repetitous, but the reason I chimed in was to ask if anyone uses the press mounted auto prime II? I'm thinking about dedicating a small press and try to modify it to a short throw for those long sessions.
Thanks, Steve

groupshooter22
11-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I have had a Lee for eons-Yeah, I broke the handle, they sent me a new one and it's still going. I don't even know where the primer arms for my presses might be!! I know this is repetitous, but the reason I chimed in was to ask if anyone uses the press mounted auto prime II? I'm thinking about dedicating a small press and try to modify it to a short throw for those long sessions.
Thanks, Steve
I use the auto prime 2 and like it alot. I use the Lee Classic cast and with the stops its possible easier to seat the primers to a consistant depth. Anybody want to buy a RCBS universal priming tool?