PDA

View Full Version : A little help

keith934
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
i just bought a stevens 200 SA in the 22-250 and wanting to know if its a centerfeed or stagger feed. i feel like a tard asking but i am not that gun savy

kslefty
01-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Almost guarantee it is a centerfeed. If you have access to a set of calipers measure center to center on the 2 action screws. If you get 4.4" it is indeed a centerfeed.

bootsmcguire
01-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Even simpler, Remove the stock. If the mag stays in the stock, it is a Centerfeed. If the mag stays on the action, it is a Stag. Feed.

keith934
01-24-2011, 08:12 AM
ok thanks guys. the mag stayed in the stock. sometimes i feel like a tard, but i guess asking questions is how you learn new things

GaCop
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
You can't learn if you don't ask..........

GUNFANATIC
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
sometimes i feel like a tard, but i guess asking questions is how you learn new things

No need to feel that way. That's what this forum is for.

bootsmcguire
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Learning is an ongoing process. Asking questions just moves you further along. Thats what this site is for and why we love it.

keith934
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
that is true and its great to have guys willing to take the time to help others out without having an attitude about it.

Tim300wsm
01-24-2011, 10:04 PM
whatcha got planned for the gun???

keith934
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
for now i want to stiffen the stock and work on the trigger. then later on i would like to get it fully dipped in digital snow camo. i have a stock from somebody on here that is on the way and i am going to stiffen it up and give it a paint job and keep this one for future. what can you get the stock trigger pull down too?

bootsmcguire
01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
That 200 prolly has the 1-screw trigger, can't do A Lot with that. I prefer the 3-Screw trigger for field use. You can take out any creep and make it feel a ton better without breaking the bank. I got my 1st 3-screw from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooting Supply (a sponsor here). It came with great instructions on how to tune and install it. I love mine. Give a Jim a call, he's a great guy to deal with, full of knowledge.

I haven't borrowed a gauge to check that one, but judging against one i have checked I would say mine is safely down at 2lbs.
It can go lighter but for field use 2lbs. is great for me.

keith934
01-25-2011, 09:50 PM
if you dont mind boots, do you know what you paid for the 3 screw trigger? do you know how many turns on this stock trigger you can go safely? any help on this trigger for now would be great

bootsmcguire
01-26-2011, 11:34 PM
It was less than $40. As far as adjustment on the 1 screw, the tiny allen on the rear of the screw is for adjustment of the safety. the spring adjustment can be back off a bit but be sure that once you adjust it, working the bolt does not jar the trigger into firing (with the safety off). If the gun is for hunting then really work the bolt firmly when you check it. If it is strictly for target and bench work you can set it a bit lighter as you won't cycle the bolt nearly as hard but you must keep it in the back of your mind.

Jumping up to a 3-screw allows you to set the creap and overtravel and the aftermarket ones claim a better engagement surface and mine came with a lighter spring wire.

Then you could go a step further than that and go with a SSS, Timney, or Rifle Basix trigger.

if you dont mind boots, do you know what you paid for the 3 screw trigger? do you know how many turns on this stock trigger you can go safely? any help on this trigger for now would be great

There really isn't a set muber of turns, it's mostly a feel kinda thing.