PDA

View Full Version : Choate Ultimate Varmint Qusestion

snowgetter1
01-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Wanting to see if anyone has used this and what modification is needed to use with the new models with the bolt release on the trigger guard.
"240603 Choate Savage Short Action Varmint. Will accept Accutrigger. DESIGNED BY MAJ. JOHN PLASTER U.S. ARMY RET., ONE OF THE WORLDS LEADING AUTHORITY & INSTRUCTORS IN LONG RANGE VERY ACCURATE SHOOTING.
Will not fit new Savage Rifles with bolt release in the trigger guard or Savage rifles with detachable magazine.Fits Models 10/11/12/16."

I do not need to inlet it for the magazine just fit in the stock since I have a new model.
Thanks.

82boy
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
You are talking about a big major project. One that would take a machine shop tooling.
That stock has a aluminum v block in it, and you would have to cut through all of that, on top of the trigger guard on the stock being molded as one piece, you would have to cut in a new trigger guard area, plus the area for the bolt release to go through. The magazine inlet is much more than just a hole in the bottom of the stock. SSS has inletted a few Choate ultimate stocks in the past for a magazine, but I don't think they have ever done one for a bolt release trigger guard.

IMO the Choate stock is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would look for something else.

snowgetter1
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
What would be a good stock in the $200 price range that will work with the new style?

82boy
01-23-2011, 12:38 AM
What would be a good stock in the $200 price range that will work with the new style?

I don't know that there is one.