PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Bolt Apart

Pages : 1 [2]

jonbearman
01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
The reason you stomp on the allen wrench is to shock the threads.It wont hurt it.I use an impact wrench and socket much like taking off stubborn wheel lug nuts.I also feel they use a scant amount of loctite on the threads at the factory. As long as you put the bolt handle against a piece of wood you can not bend the bolt body.You should be able to drive a car over it before it bends.This is one of the strongest parts on the rifle. I have used a steel hammer and whacked the allen wrench and actually have seen sparks come off the bolt shoulder.I feel they tighten these this tight,say around 150 ft lbs to stop people from being able to disaassemble them in the first place.It is a lawyer thing.If you go on the parts finder on savages web site and try to buy just the bolt,they wont even sell it to you because it is a resticted part.

sharpshooter
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
The bolt assembly screws are installed with an impact wrench, not that they have to be that tight, it's just faster. They don't use loctite on any part of the rifle.

bigcatdaddy
01-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi guys
just wanted to chime in my newbee 2 cents as well.

I broke a hex on my bolt nut. The other on was "rounded-over". Read this thread and decided a breaker bar would do fine. At hardware store, I told self..."why don't you stomp on it like post said to do...then fork out the dolars"? New hex with sharp edges was .79 cents. Had some liqid wrench at home. Doused it well, several hours later set it up in our bedroom for stomping. It has to be oriented right. Put my whole 280 lbs on it...nada. Wife is laughing her guts out. Gave it two bounces and "BANG"! I was sure I broke it...but it was just the sound of the nut suddenly loosening.

2 Cheers huraah for the suggestion to just stomp on it....and for less than a buck in parts!

I love this forum! Been nice to lurk awhile here. Converting my Savage short-action to a 7mm-08 target gun.

geargrinder
01-24-2011, 11:59 PM
That bang is a scary sound the first time you hear it.

11fcns
01-25-2011, 05:25 AM
i remember seeing somewhere a very good step by step guide with pics of taking a Savage bolt apart. i plan on getting a new bolt handle and would like to replace it myself. reading this thread i've got bits and pieces but would like step by step with photos. any help? thanks.

Appleseed
01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage%20Bolt%20Head%20Swap

Is this it?

bigcatdaddy
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
11fcns

youtube is your friend. his vid is lowtech, but informative. One each of bolt disassembly, then the bolt face. O ne each of boltface reassembly, then the bolt. Pay attention to the cocking orientation on the reassembly. 4 videos total. They walked me right through it. Piece of cake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIwyywJZf-4

11fcns
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
no appleseed i saw that one and its different but thanks for the help. ;) on that video he used a 6mm allen but i always thought it was 1/4" allen. i'm sure they'll both fit but if i have to do that stepping on the allen thing any looseness may cause the allen to slip out and damage the bolt. so which is it?

sha-ul
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
no appleseed i saw that one and its different but thanks for the help. ;) on that video he used a 6mm allen but i always thought it was 1/4" allen. i'm sure they'll both fit but if i have to do that stepping on the allen thing any looseness may cause the allen to slip out and damage the bolt. so which is it?

Which fits tighter? Being made in USA, I would hope it is SAE, but I do not know for a fact.

jglover_81
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I couldn't remember so I just checked a 6mm and it is too loose so 1/4 it is 8)

bigcatdaddy
01-26-2011, 12:28 AM
I rounded over my 6mm on it...no damage to the nut. 1/4" was perfect.

Tim300wsm
01-26-2011, 08:12 PM
if a 1/4 fits its not 6mm, 6mm is .243 come on guys you should all know that on this site ::)

David Clark
01-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Wrong, 6 mm is .236.22
Dave :D