PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24: Shot my new to me 24 OU today, 223./12 gauge!

skoger
01-21-2011, 08:16 PM
They havent made these for a few years,and they were getting pretty high when they still lmade them. I got a chance at a mint one few weeks ago for $300, .223/12G, screw in chokes, uses mossberg chokes, syn. stock. Took it to the range yesterday, had a weaver scope base on it, but could still use the sight on the barrel. .223 shot a little left, tapped the rear sight over, shot 2 at 25 yds, and then 3 at 50, about an inch high, but wadded right together, I mean tight! I then shot some clay pigeon pieces I had set up, about 1/4 to 1/3 size piecs of normal clays, 3 in a row at 100yds with open sights! Then I put in a full choke, and tried some #4 Turkey load, 2 3/4 magnum, some old loads I had, and at 40 yards, kept the whole load in about a 14 inch circle. The shot pattern hit right under the point of aim, so for gobblers I should just hold over his head and let her rip. I am gonna try a turkey choke and maybe some Dead Coyote loads, I think this would be a great run and gun combo for yote calling or turkey hunting either one, in states that allow it. The .223 kicks like .22 rimfire and the 12 aint bad either. I am going to shorten the stock, and put a limbsaver I have on it. I believe I will leave it as is, instead of a scope, I have several dedicated varmint rifles. I am also thinking about ordering a .22/.223 chamber insert, and see how it does, Could end up with a heck of a survival gun. What do you guys think?

Axtell3
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
mine is the 223, 20 guage.
good little gun, but it does have a shotgun trigger.
It's nice that it packs small.

bootsmcguire
01-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Mine are 22LR/20ga and a very mint 222/20ga.

the 22LR has been used alot, Dad owned it and its basicly what I started out with on rabbits, squierrels, and the occasional bird or two. Horrible trigger on that one but always goes bang and is pretty accurate.

the 222 is deadly accuarte and has a much much nicer trigger than the 22lr. I got it from the original owner and he only fired a couple shots down the rifle tube and about half a box of shells through the shotgun tube. He even included the original box of 222 and 20ga shells he bought with the gun. The gentleman said he bought it to go on a hunting retreat trip his boss was putting on back in the 60's. Used it on the trip, cleaned it up, put it in the case and was there unmarked 40+ years later for me to discover.I have a hard time using guns that old in that nice of original condition. I just cringe thinking about putting a scratch on it. But the 22lr gets carried around. Nice and handy for the occasional target of opportunity.