PDA

View Full Version : SSS Long Range Benchrest stock- Anyone have one? Opinions ?

savageboy
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey all, I am planning out my next step up build w/ a Sav target action, 30+" 1" min barrel- looking at Boughton, Brux,etc. after shooting w/ a Shilen Sel. match. Caliber is up in the air at this point- may stick with the .260AI that I have now as I am set up for it or go to a straight .284.
I shoot 1000yd F class prone off a rest and am looking at stocks now. I have narrowed it down to the Tooley MBR style stock and am comparinig the following 4 stock manufacturers:
Joel Russo, Baer, Shehane, and SSS w/ the Long Range Bench Rest.

Can anyone comment from actual experience of how the SSS compares- quality, wood grain, straightness,etc. I know that both Joel Russo and Shehane do incredible work, but they charge for it and they should. What do I get by jumping down a few bucks and going with a Baer or the SSS? I would like to buy from Fred and Lisa as they have done great by me over the past few years, just wondering what you have found?

TOO Builder
10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I am betting any that you have mentioned will give you a top notch stock. I do not have a SSS stock but betting others will confirm quality.

Are you sure Russo charges more for his laminate stocks then comparable from others? If you haven't, give him a call and talk it over. I am planning my fourth stock done by Joel. In fact I just spent about 30 min. on the phone with him today going over the details etc. He can come up with some fantastic exotic wood that does get fairly spendy but will also do any laminate of you choice. Plan well in advance but best to do that with any maker you pick. TB

82boy
10-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I have several SSS stocks and ALL of them are top notch. Shehane stocks are a lot more money than a SSS. I have never heard of Baer. Joel Russo stocks a few people on this site have them. If I remember right they are very pricey. From what I have seen a SSS stock every bit as nice if not nicer than the others. Out of the list the only other stocks I have seen in person is the shehane.

JCalhoun
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Since you will be shooting F-Class you will need to make sure the fore end is not too wide.

savageboy
10-19-2009, 07:17 PM
3"

JCummings
10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I have one on an Fclass rifle I built in 260 Rem. I've been happy with it. It does shoot better since bedding.