PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist for Savage 110 LA stagger-feed . . . . Your Opinion

Pages : [1] 2

longarch
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm considering purchasing a B&C Medalist for my Savage 110 LA stagger-feed rifle, Has anyone purchased and mounted one of these? If so, how was the fit, feel, and did it improve your accuracy?

This is the product information I received from B&C when I emailed them:

Savage ~ All Bell & Carlson stocks fit the blind magazine (no bottom metal).
Center to center on the action screws 5 1/8 and staggerfeed (long action)
Sporter style Medalist 2980 (standard bbl)

Jeff

Rover31
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
I would love to do that also. I have the B&C Medalist on a short action and love it. However I have talked to a stock pro and was told no way to make it work without a huge amount of work and money.
So for me not gonna waist my time prob go with another B&C with a kydex cheek rest. Good luck.
T

longarch
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Maybe I mislead you with my post Rover. The Medalist Medalist 2980 is a LONG-ACTION stock that B&C makes for the Savage 110 stagger-feed series. They haven't updated their catalog yet but it does exist. I still can't believe that no one here, a Savage dedicated site, has never purchased one of these. Wow!

Jeff

helotaxi
01-23-2011, 08:34 PM
AFAIK they just came out within the last few weeks.

BoilerUP
01-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Medalist Sporter, not Medalist Tactical...important to note the difference.

B&C doesn't make the Medalist Tactical for the long action...much to many folks' (myself included) chagrin.

longarch
01-24-2011, 12:13 AM
This is the entire list of Savage stocks from B&C themselves. There's some good information here:

Here's all the specs for Savage stocks offered by B&C:

Savage ~ All Bell & Carlson stocks fit the blind magazine (no bottom metal).

Center to center on the action screws 5 1/8 and staggerfeed (long action)

DuraMaxx 7112 (heavy bbl)

Carbelite 5071 (standard bbl)

Sporter style Medalist 2980 (standard bbl)

Center to center on the action screws 4.25 and staggerfeed (short action)

Varmint Tactical Medalist 2999 (heavy bbl) - LOP 13 3/4

DuraMaxx 7110 (heavy bbl)

Carbelite 5072 (standard bbl)

Center to center on the action screws 4.389 and centerfeed (short action)

Varmint Tactical Medalist 2997 (heavy bbl) - LOP 13 3/4

~~The older design internal mag box has a staggered feed mag sleeve that is attached to the receiver.

~~The newer design internal mag box has a center feed mag sleeve that is not attached to the receiver and is held in place by the stock.

~~ FYI ONLY The newer detach box mag system has a center feed detachable mag box (NOT PERTINENT TO B&C STOCKS SINCE OURS ARE ALL BLIND MAG)

oapstate
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Still nothing for us LA Centerfeeders...

helotaxi
01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Is the long action stock different between the stagger feed and the center feed? I know it was an issues with the short action because the screw spacing changed, but I'm pretty sure that the screw spacing is the same on the two long actions.

wbm
01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Still nothing for us LA Centerfeeders

If you don't want a DBM it is easy to convert a LA stagger feed to a center feed. I ordered a center feed magazine, L clip and follower from Savage. All that is necessary to convert the stagger feed blind magazine is to inlet the stock area just in front of the rear pillar so that the L clip fits flush. After that you block the mag well so that there is no right-to-left and fore-n-aft movement of the magazine box. Works great.

longarch
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM

If you don't want a DBM it is easy to convert a LA stagger feed to a center feed. I ordered a center feed magazine, L clip and follower from Savage. All that is necessary to convert the stagger feed blind magazine is to inlet the stock area just in front of the rear pillar so that the L clip fits flush. After that you block the mag well so that there is no right-to-left and fore-n-aft movement of the magazine box. Works great.

WBM.... You got any pics to post of the conversion or at least the finished product?

Jeff

wbm
01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't have any pics but I'll borrow my sons camera and see if I can get a few. I used a Savage walnut stock off a 114 on my first attempt and it was fairly easy.

longarch
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I think the instructions with pics would be a great DIY sticky.

Jeff

GaCop
01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm in the same boat wanting to fit a CF mag to a SF stock and so far, can't get feeding to be 100% reliable and getting some bolt galling on the magazine lips.

wbm
01-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I ordered a center feed long action magazine, clip, and follower from Savage for $30. (They got it here fast!)

The stock was a Savage LA from a 114U.

All that is required to convert is too inlet the stock in front of the rear pillar so that the clip fits flush. The clip is a separate piece that has a tab that fits into the magazine and keeps the rear of the magazine at the correct height in the mag well.

The remainder of the fitting is up to the individual. I used a type of tape that is used by water well drillers to make water-tight seals on pipes. It is pure rubber with a backing film that comes off so that it sticks to whatever you put it on and also to itself. Works GREAT! You can get it at Ace or Home Depot. (Sorry don't know the name of the tape)

After two wraps the magazine fit as tight as the magazine on my center-feed Savage BVSS stock. Took me less than an hour to do the retrofit. Magazine functions perfect!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5396271498_7cedac2f85_b.jpg

sha-ul
01-28-2011, 03:51 PM

was there any mods needed for the action itself? other than shaving that 1/16" in the stock?
what about feeding, is the center feed better?

wbm
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
No other mods needed at all. The center-feed is better for all the WSM control round feed cartridges and the 7mm magnum.

I am going to use this setup for a 6.5 Creedmoor so we'll see how that works. Shalom!

longarch
01-28-2011, 07:36 PM
WBM

Now that's cool! You say all you need to have is the center feed long action magazine, clip, and follower from Savage for $30. Do you have the Savage part numbers for the conversion parts?

Jeff

wbm
01-28-2011, 08:02 PM
You go to the Savage web site and click on the parts search. You have to enter a rifle serial number and then it will give you a numbered schematic and you click on the part you want.

GaCop
01-29-2011, 06:06 AM
I ordered a center feed long action magazine, clip, and follower from Savage for $30. (They got it here fast!)

The stock was a Savage LA from a 114U.

All that is required to convert is too inlet the stock in front of the rear pillar so that the clip fits flush. The clip is a separate piece that has a tab that fits into the magazine and keeps the rear of the magazine at the correct height in the mag well.

The remainder of the fitting is up to the individual. I used a type of tape that is used by water well drillers to make water-tight seals on pipes. It is pure rubber with a backing film that comes off so that it sticks to whatever you put it on and also to itself. Works GREAT! You can get it at Ace or Home Depot. (Sorry don't know the name of the tape)

After two wraps the magazine fit as tight as the magazine on my center-feed Savage BVSS stock. Took me less than an hour to do the retrofit. Magazine functions perfect!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5396271498_7cedac2f85_b.jpg

Good info and pics wbm Gotta get some of that tape.

wbm
01-29-2011, 09:53 AM
I'll see if I can get a name for the tape. I do remember that it is a bit pricey.