PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist for Savage 110 LA stagger-feed . . . . Your Opinion

Pages : 1 [2]

Rover31
03-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm back to re-stocking this gun.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
T

BoilerUP
03-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I bought a Centerfeed LA BVSS stock from Northlander and modified it to fit my staggerfeed long action.

Took me about an hour of measuring, dremeling, cleaning, test-fitting, and repeating that about a dozen times but it works quite nicely; I trimmed a fender washer approx. 0.060" thick from Home Depot to fit the centerfeed magazine L-clip channel. Shoots very well, but one day I'll get around to bedding the action and it should be 100% complete.

MNbogboy
02-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm considering purchasing a B&C Medalist for my Savage 110 LA stagger-feed rifle, Has anyone purchased and mounted one of these? If so, how was the fit, feel, and did it improve your accuracy?

This is the product information I received from B&C when I emailed them:

Savage ~ All Bell & Carlson stocks fit the blind magazine (no bottom metal).
Center to center on the action screws 5 1/8 and staggerfeed (long action)
Sporter style Medalist 2980 (standard bbl)

Jeff

My sporter Medalist just came today by UPS very nice looking and sleek lined comparing it to the Duramax (which I have 3).......I dropped in a Stevens LA CF with only slight fitting at the tang and one rough spot in the barrel channel...The Shaw sporter .260 fit real well other than the one high spot....I modified a CF mag and follower with two sheet metal straps which hold the follower spring from pushing the mag upwards and then shimmed it snug fore and aft with plastic sheet stock...The magazine was a 7mm mag so I had to tweak the lips but it works pretty good now....

Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot this rig Saturday, will post results later....All three of my Duramaxs shoot 1/2 MOA with a variety of barrels so my guess that this bedding block on the Medalist will only be better than the pillars because it fit so well and torqued up so nice.....

Later,
Randy

MNbogboy
02-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Tried the rig today..shot OK (3/4 moa)...but with loads worked up for a different gun....Noticed that stock needed a little more trimming behind the trigger group (Rifle Basics SAV-1).....trigger just rubbed and caused heavier than set pull...Removed the stock right on the bench rest and filed a "smidge"..torqued it back on and shot the best groups of the day after that....This stock is just what I have been looking for for a hunting rig..lightweight..durable..accurate and looks great (mine is tan with black spider web)....
Randy

Zinhog
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Mnbogboy- im starting down the same path with a 110 LA and metalist stock. Do you know if the stock will work with a heavy sporter contour(0.729" at the muzzle)? This is a criterion barrel from Jim at NSS finished at 24". Just hoping to avoid fitting issues.

MNbogboy
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Zinhog, There should be plenty of "meat" in the barrel channel to fit it nicely but most likely you will have to remove some material to fit it....I have a Shaw 6.5-06 magnum contour barrel on order and plan to use this same stock in another action (110) with it...I am expecting having to remove quite a bit for it also, being that the sporter contour is a close a fit already....
With a "cheap" barrel on it the stock so far has produced quite a few groups for me in the .3s & .4s with a .19 at best....I believe the stock is better than the barrel so I am completely satisfied...(BTW I haven't skim bedded it yet because of my plans for use with the other action. That can only add to its accuracy....
Good Luck,
Randy