PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Engraved Model 77B Stevens

hotchkiss
01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I need any information that you may have regarding the Savage Model 77B that is engraved. The engraving is very extensive. The wood is also engraved on both sides of the forend. Also, one side of the stock is engraved and the grip is also engraved. The grip shows an engraving of some type of tree branch with berries. The right side of the metal part of the shot gun is engraved with 4 ducks and the other side is engraved with a pointer 3 grouse. The odd thing about the shotgun is that it has a 3 digit serial number stamped in front of the loading gate. Did Savage ever engrave these for retiring employees. The trigger guard is also engraved and the bolt and loading gate both have a circular coined finish. The shotgun is 12ga. with a ventilated rib and a Savage Super Choke.

Thank you,
Hotchkiss

Mad Dog
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Whats the serial range?

The grouse sounds right for an early 70's 77 but the rest is all new to me.

hotchkiss
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
The serial # is 8XX . The gun was made in Chicopee Falls , Mass. A letter was just sent to John Callahan Savage historian. Pictures will be forthcoming. Thanks Hotch

Mad Dog
01-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Just 800?

Wow thats wierd, should have an A series serial number on it. I think you might have something there. Can't wait to see what JC has to come up with. Hope he can even letter a 1970's shotgun, not to sure on that.

I'm kinda thinking you might be dissapointed on what comes back from John. Not that it's not something unique but that he might not access to the material on this certain gun.

hotchkiss
01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
This shotguns serial no. is between magazine tube and loading gate and looks to be stamped as an afterthought. [Savage Chicopee Falls Mass. was only in business till 1960. ]The gun is in unused condition. The bluing is excellent. Hotch.

Mad Dog
01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Ahhh.....brain fart.

It's a Chicopee, I never went back far enough in the catalogs.

I'd bet yours is a 1954 or 1955 when they first came out and the serial number would be correct. They didn't go to the A series serial numbers till Westfield.

Find me a date code on the gun somewhere, usually it's on the receiver or the barrel by the frame. It's a small oval circle with a number and a letter stamped inside of it. Bet it's an E or an F.

hotchkiss
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the tip. There is a capital G ,also capital GA 3. I didn't mention this to Callahan on my request.These marks are between the barrel and magazine where they enter the receiver. Thanks Hotch.

Mad Dog
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Not sure what those are but they aren't a date code. The date code will be really small like the size of a pencil lead. Might even need a magnifying glass to see what number and letter are inside the circle.

hotchkiss
01-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I found a circle with the letter and number 3 G on the barrel below 77B. Thanks hotch.

Mad Dog
01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Yep, I was right, it was made in 1955.

The 1955 catalog doesn't show that gun with any kind of engraving on it so it should be interesting to see what J.C. comes up with.

hotchkiss
02-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Mr. Callahan replied that this gun was not factory engraved.And that your 1955 date is good. Since my last post I've found another one of these guns but not as ornate,sold at a Rock Island Auction on June 26 ,2010 it also had a three digit serial no.442. Can't figure out how to post pictures. Thanks for all your help. Hotch.

Mad Dog
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Holy crap, you got as letter back from JC that fast?

Did you have him at gunpoint?