PDA

View Full Version : Long action centerfeed..ugh!

oapstate
01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Looking for a new stock for a long action build....not many drop in stocks available for the long action. I really wish B&C made medalist for the centerfeed long action. Ugh!

dcloco
01-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Stockys might have something for you.

Some listed here as well.

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Stocks/

BoilerUP
01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Looking for a new stock for a long action build....not many drop in stocks available for the long action. I really wish B&C made medalist for the centerfeed long action. Ugh!

B&C doesn't make the Medalist Tactical for the staggerfeed long action either...

oapstate
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I know, I could not even find where B&C made a long action medalist. Frustrating.

GaCop
01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I tried fitting my CF mag in a walnut SF stock. After two hours of frustration and Excerdine headach #400 I gave up, the bolt kept binding on the mag. I'm beginning to think this centerfeed Stevens 200 from Academy Sports was no bargain even at $179. I guess I can rebarrel it in a varmint weight barrel and go singleshot.

I shot the rifle Sunday and gotta say, the recoil was rediculous in that light tupperware stock. I was shooting Hornady 130 gr handloads with RL-19/56 grains and getting velocities a tad over 3000 fps with 1.4" three shot groups at 100 yards. I was seating the Hornady's .017" OTL. What amazed me was NO copper mine in the factory barrel! I tried Montana Extreme 50BMG, Bore Tech Eliminator and KG-12, none gave me any indication of copper in the barrel after firing 16 rounds.

efm77
01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
If you don't mind synthetic, the Hogue stocks are now available for Savages and they make them for centerfeed actions.

sha-ul
01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I tried fitting my CF mag in a walnut SF stock. After two hours of frustration and Excerdine headach #400 I gave up, the bolt kept binding on the mag. I'm beginning to think this centerfeed Stevens 200 from Academy Sports was no bargain even at $179. I guess I can rebarrel it in a varmint weight barrel and go singleshot.

I shot the rifle Sunday and gotta say, the recoil was rediculous in that light tupperware stock. I was shooting Hornady 130 gr handloads with RL-19/56 grains and getting velocities a tad over 3000 fps with 1.4" three shot groups at 100 yards. I was seating the Hornady's .017" OTL. What amazed me was NO copper mine in the factory barrel! I tried Montana Extreme 50BMG, Bore Tech Eliminator and KG-12, none gave me any indication of copper in the barrel after firing 16 rounds.

Can a guy install the older sf mag in the cf action?

GaCop
01-27-2011, 06:57 AM
No, the stagger feed mag fit in slots that were cut in the mag well. The new CF receiver is smooth underneath, no way to convert w/o expensive machine work. On a positive note, the CF receiver is easier to glass bed but that's the only advantage I see. It amazes me, the CF has been around since 2006 yet it's still a pain trying to find stocks that fit it.

psharon97
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
If you're willing to wait, Fred at SSS can build a stok for ya.

BrettSass844
01-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Manners and several other companies will build you a long action stock to suit your needs. XLR industries also has a complete chassis system if that's your thing to.