PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrr

Samdweezel05
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Nothing going on today so I head up to the gun/reloading room to see if I can get something done. I havn't ordered any reloading stuff for the season yet so I am stuck doing odd ball stuff. Started out with the bright idea to load up some "extra" rounds for the 1911. I have been using a Lee 1000 progressive press for this. Not any more. It's now in more pieces than it was origional made in. Get that mess cleaned up and removed from the bench and I decide to resize and deprime some .30-30 brass that I have been collecting over the last few years. I have taken a liking to a pre 64 Win in .30-30 and decided to load for it. Set up the resize/decap die and run a case though it. WTF, shoulder is all messed up but I figured I had just used too much lube. Run the next one through....same thing. I am too stupid to stop, and do this 4 more time before I take the die out and take it apart. I bought these dies used about 6 years ago and had never used them. They were full of junk and it was all collected in the shoulder portion of the die and was leaving small divots all around the shoulder of the case. Moral of the story is, make sure there is no crud in the hole before you go sticking your lubed up case in it. ::)

sha-ul
01-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Moral of the story is, make sure there is no crud in the hole before you go sticking your lubed up case in it. ::)

you know that lesson could apply to many things in life ;)

laportecharlie
01-17-2011, 10:58 AM
As to that Lee 1000: I TOLD YOU SO!!!.
Charlie

Samdweezel05
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
As to that Lee 1000: I TOLD YOU SO!!!.
Charlie

I know, I know. It worked perfect, then all of a sudden.....nothing. Primers wouldn't feed, in fact they wanted to flip on there side. The timing was all kinds of screwed up and no matter how I tried to fix it, as per the instructions, nothing worked. 2.5 hours later and I had 6 good loaded rounds and 17 that have to be pulled or thrown out. I could have sold it and made some money back but I don't think I would have been able to sleep knowing someone could get hurt with something like that. At least I have another 3 hole turret to use in my functional Lee turret press. That's what I used before to load for the .45acp. Guess the next one will be a Dillon. Thank god the old rock chucker doesn't mess up. I would have a heck of a time trying to get that one in pieces.

GaCop
01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Get the Dillon, you'll be amazed how fast you can crank out quality rounds both rifle (223, 308, 7mm/08, 243, etc) and pistol. The .45 cal shell plate can be used to load all the standard rifles rounds like 308, 30-06, 243, etc.

ourway77
01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Open a window around these guys and you never know what to expect LOL Shal-ul I really liked that reply of yours. Lou