PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Model 93 .17 bolt problem, maybe?

StolenHorse
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I recently purchased a Savage 93 17HMR. Took it to the gun club, sighted it in, took it home cleaned it. I pulled the bolt out by removing the clip, knocking it off safety, held the trigger in and when I slide it back, the front part of the bolt slide back with it, then stopped and the blued back part of the bolt came on out, leaving the front part partially in. I carefully slide it on out and slide it back into the main rear part of the bolt. This was done by lining it up, slide it on and turned it in the correct position and put it all back togeather. I have never had this to happen with any of my other bolt actions. Thought it was odd, but it works fine after putting it back in. While it was out I examined it and slide it off and back on several times. I have not shot it yet and I hope this is normal. It just seems like something should be holding the two togeather. All I have to do is turn it and slide it off the rear or main part of the bolt to take it apart. Any suggestions?
Thanks

StolenHorse
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok... I'm getting senile. I have wrongfully accused my Savage 93 .17HMR of this possible problem. I was sitting here running it thru my mind and it dawned on me that I also cleaned a Marlin Model 883 tube fed 22mag. I went to the vault pulled it out and the Savage and the problem is with the Marlin, NOT the Savage. So everything I stated is true with the exception of the gun that has the problem. And I did not remove the clip before removing the bolt because the Marlin does not have a clip, it is tube fed. So anyway, I apologise for accusing such a fine gun of having a problem. It's a mighty fine gun and shoots just fine. 1/4" groups at 50 and really a bit over and inch at a hundred. Have not grouped it past 100 yet. I just don't like the 5 shot clip. By the way, has anyone loaded one in the Savage chamber then put the clip in..giving you six shots????? Will that work??? I will post the Marlin problem on the Marlin forum. But..... still open for any comments.
Thanks

Salvo
10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I use mine as a farm gun, it stays loaded with one up the spout and five in the clip at all times.

When I have to shoot it, I make sure it has a live round in the chamber and the safety on when I'm done. Then when I take it back inside, I fill up the magazine before it goes back in the rack.

The model Savage 93.17 and an AR15 are the only long guns I keep loaded. Between the two, they handle any kind of situation that I might run across on the farm property. ( Varmints, feral dogs, etc. )

If I lived in town I would not keep a rifle loaded at all, just a shotgun or a pistol if I didn't have a shotgun.