PDA

View Full Version : Old 110 action and new bolt advise

Big Smitty
01-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I have an old 110 action, 1974 model, that I am changing from a .270 to a .300 win mag. I already have the barrel. Now I am going to buy a new bolt because I can't get a new bolt head without waiting and I want to get the rifle to where I can shoot it. Are there any issues doing this? Some of the reading I have done brings up 2 different firing pin sizes and maybe some issues with the bolthead and how the recoil lugs match up to an old action. Maybe there are some other issues? I will get the bolt from Midway probably. I am asking just to know if I can do this and if there are any issues I should be aware of. Thanks!

geargrinder
01-16-2011, 02:26 AM
If you buy a complete bolt from Midway, don't forget the ejector parts.

You'll also need to find a flat back rear baffle. You can get them from numrich or brownells.

mscott71
01-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I simply drilled out the smaller hole in the bolt head to work with the older larger firing pin. I don't know of any problems with recoil lugs, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

geargrinder
01-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I think he is swapping in a whole new bolt so he wouldn't have to drill out anything. That's only an issue when swapping bolt heads. Even then, I switched all of my bolts to small pin so I won't have to worry about it.

I bet he is thinking about the pre-67 rifles. Those bolts and bolt heads are different. Those barrels have a rem 700 style counter bore that the bolt head goes into.

Big Smitty
01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, I am buying an entire new bolt, not just the bolt head. I also ordered the ejector parts, thanks for the reminder though. I have just heard that the timing and lockup of the bolt can be different if you are adding a brand new bolt to an old receiver.

I am hoping I can use the rear flat baffle from the original bolt on the new bolt. This rifle has the flat rear receiver. Firing pin should not matter since I am buying an entire new bolt. Good idea on drilling it out if needed though.

My question was to just make sure that I was not doing anything that was unsafe or would hinder accuracy. Thanks for the comments!

geargrinder
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
You're going to get a round baffle from Midway. I just bought one.

Brownells and Numrich have the flat backs.

Big Smitty
01-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Thanks Geargrinder. I just found out my bolt was backordered so I canceled it. Brownells has black, magnum boltheads so I ordered one. Pretty sure this is what I needed. I am hopeing that I can just add it to the .270 bolt that was on the rifle. I also got the ejector and spring and a new bolt head pin. I already have the part for the extractor.