PDA

View Full Version : Xpost. How do you measure& establish correct length of pull?

sha-ul
01-16-2011, 12:45 AM
I have a question for the assembled knowledge here, I am looking at picking up a repeating bolt action for my oldest boy's birthday next month, He will be turning 9, however he is small for his age, possibly as a result of the chemo, He is fine now(aside from being an ornery turd :P) I have settled on the MKII with the dbm, but the rifle I found I think is the adult model, with a synthetic stock, So I will either need to trim it down& make structural modifications to it or find a wooden stock, the question is How do I fit this rifle to him? especially in a way he can grow into it?

Yes I know this is the center-fire section, But I cross posted thinking this board might be a little more trafficked.

hailstone
01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Old time method for shotguns was grip the stock with the hand in normal manner with trigger finger comfortably positioned. Length of stock would be to the crock of the arm. I've found this too be general in nature and adjustments may be needed depending on the individual. Be aware youth will be more adversly affected by there winter clothing than adults so allow for that.

Captain Finlander
01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
+1 plus

It is much easier to use a rifle/shotgun with a shorter length of pul than one that is to long. In the field you may be bundled up in bulkier clothing which adds to the length of pull so I always recommend reducing it by 1/2" once you determine yours.

How you mount the gun in the shoulder seriously effects performance. Most newbies mount the gun to low in the shoulder and have to cock their necks to get a cheek weld. A truly good position for both rifle and shotgun is a higher anchor point so the neck naturally rests the cheek to the comb and the nose should be about one to two fingers off the back of your thumb.

sha-ul
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
well, this could get interesting, I measured him from the inside of the elbow to the 1st joint on his index finger& came up with 10.5" looks like I may have to do quite a bit of trimming. :o

told you he was a bit smallish ;)

Captain Finlander
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
You need to be considering a youth stock for sure ;)

Balance is another consideration but it sounds like your off to a good start.

sha-ul
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
You need to be considering a youth stock for sure ;)

Balance is another consideration but it sounds like your off to a good start.

do you think I need to drill& add lead under the butt plate?

I gave Boyds a call earlier, they did have a youth stock, that was a factory second, when I told the guy how short his measurement was,& I might have to trim it down, he mentioned that he would look around for a but plate for a cub.
He is small enough now that a cricket is about the right size, if not a fuzz too big.
He is growing, but was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 3, then went through chemo for 2-1/2 years, so it may have stunted his growth a bit(full remission now). he is growing again, but may be a bit behind. he stands about 54" tall currently.

Blue Avenger
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
while adding lead will change the balance it will also make the gun heavy. maybe a short barrel to begin with also?

what caliber are you thinking?

cowboyarcher
01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
My wife shoots a 7mm-08 with a 12.5" LOP and 18" barrel. She is 5' and 95lbs and this is still too much for her. . . I think another inch off the stock may be required and I'll have a custom ultralight barrel contour made for her at the same 18". It will have to wear a brake too.

Adam

sha-ul
01-20-2011, 09:38 PM
this will be a MKII in 22lr, it has a 20.5" barrel, with a pencil profile, I could have 4" cut off, but would need to relocate the front sight.

Eric in NC
01-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Best way I have come across is to try various lengths - some folks might "measure" one length but they are much more comfortable with something different. I tend to like a shorter pull than I am supposed to use.

csam
01-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I am built like a barrel, and have unusally stubby, short arms (sounds hot huh?) and I fitting anything with a scope is tough. I also have a short neck, so that only complicates things.

I like a short length of pull and a high comb and a good cheek weld. Hard combo to find. it is a lot easier for me to line up naturally in iron sights.