PDA

View Full Version : Barnes X Bullet

kschilling
01-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I had some of these available this year and decided it was time to expend a few. This was a bullet recovered from a 400+ lbs Elk Cow. Ended up with over 200 lbs of meat.... awesome. I shot her twice. The first was a lung shot and she simply stood there. The second was base of neck spine shot. DRT. When we rolled her over, I found this poking out under the hide of the animal.

Rifle: TC Encore .30-06 Prohunter barrel with OPS Muzzle brake.
Load: 180 grain Barnes X Bullet, 55.0 grains of IMR 4831, Chrony'd at 2700 fps.

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/Barnes180topview.jpg

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/Barnes180Xsideview.jpg

handirifle
01-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Man, that thing looks like a Barnes add photo. nice goin. I think Barnes wants to see pics of your results as well.

elgregoblanko
01-31-2011, 01:16 AM
gotta love that x bullet!! i killed my oryx with that exact same grain weight in 30-06,,,you get what you pay for.

Tracer
03-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Since 1995 I have tried and tried to get those Banes X bullets to shoot in my rifles but NO Cigar!!! I also tried that Blue X Bullet what was supposed to be an extra 200fps fastert than any other bullet ont he planet but it too fizzled out big time and shot groups were 3 inches or better with my handloads. We tried a few of those Barnes triple shock bullets in the 7mm mag and the 270 Winchester but half of those never opened up in the 8 foot stock tank they were shot into. So I am done with Barnes Bullets period.

I'll stick to what works in my rifles on big game and those are the Noslerl Partitions, Swift A Frames, Nosler Accubonds, Speer Sledge Hammers and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Bullets.

chestsprings
03-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I too have been shooting the X's since they came out in the early 90's.

use the "old" "blue meanies X's " in my Rem 6mm, & have shot over 75 deer with them. a great bullet. now use the new TSX. use the 165, & 168's in the 06.

in 3 of my rifles ( all custom barrels) you would have to see the groups to believe how good they shoot. the most accurate hunting bullet I have ever shot in my rifles.

I have a few that I recovered from deer that look like your pictures.

I have used over the past 40 yrs. a lot of different bullets, but if I want to shoot some thing that goes"bang/flop" it's the Barnes X's.

Tracer
03-18-2011, 09:02 PM
BANG FLOP YOU SAY? LOL ;D ::)

elgregoblanko
03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
dam rite, Bang/Flop.

1St it's the shooters skill level--then it's
shot placement and bullet design

Tracer
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
We here have been trying to get those Barnes bullets to shoot decent groups in our rifles since 1995 and NO CIGAR GENTS!!! Last summer we took some of those TSX bullets out to the pasture and shot them in an old 8ft stock tank, once again the groups were not good but the real wrench in the gear works was that 25 percent of them did NOT OPEN UP!!!.................."NO MORE BARNES BULLETS FOR US TO WASTE MONEY ON"

chestsprings
04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
some rifle/bullets just don't shoot in certain rifles. that's why there are so many choices.

there is a certain manufacture bullet that doesn't shoot in one of my rifles, just "so-so". they shoot great in a buddy's rifle, & he thinks they are the greatest bullet made.

one yr. just to satisfied my self, I shot 2 deer each with a "X", & 2 with a Nosler partition, here in Va.
tried to get all 4 deer approx. same range, same position. all 4 were killed,( you can only kill them so dead) , but I was more satisfied with the "X's".

They were "BANG/FLOP"

I have used a lot of different bullets to shoot a lot of deer. in the end, if I want an accurate bullet for "bang/flop", I use the "X's".

I have a few targets (3 shot groups) shot with "X's" at 100 yds,. that you can cover with a nickle. of course we all have those kind of targets/groups in our wallets to show how good our rifle shoots ;)

maybe you are not "smoking the right cigar" ;D

Tracer
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
ChestSprings I got some more of those TSX bullets downstairs on my bench, I am going to try them in my 7mm mag and 25-06 just to see if things are any different in those two rifles. I won't hold my breath but maybe things might be better, hope so but I would not bet money on them yet. ;D

chainsaw
04-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Are you using barnes load data?It is different from standard data.

Tracer
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Chainsaw yes indeed I am, that first reloading book Barnes put out had more mistakes in it than my English grammar when I was a kid you betcha. ::) :o