PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Model 110 question

murrayman1
01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi im new to the forum and have recently been given a 1961 model 110 30-06 by my grandfather . I put only 3 rounds through it then he told me he had not shot it in over 10 yrs so i figured i should have it checked out by a gunsmith before i shoot it any more. My question is he had an old All America 4x scope on it with weaver pivot mounts and i was told that the mounts are not good because they have a hard time keeping a zero. I have a Leupold 3x9x40mm scope on my 30-30 i was gonna swap for it but for some reason the scope wont mount it seems like the shaft of the scope is to small. i tried new mounting rails and new mounts but it wont fit. Has anyone ran into this problem? or have a suggestion for mounting it? Also i just moved to Colorado in the Denver area and plan on hunting mule deer and elk with it and was wondering if anyone knows a good brand of ammo and what grain i should use i was thinking 180 but was not sure. any help would be great thanks.

geargrinder
01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Do you mean that the scope tube is too short? That's a fairly common problem. You'll need a set of bases with a reversible front. I really like the Burris Xtreme bases. They are steel and multi-slot weaver style. I'd also recommend Burris Signature Zee's to go with them

180's are great on elk, I also like 165's for mule deer. Accubonds are my favorite.

Armed in Utah
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Burris makes a two pc base for your older 110....

Its a flat rear/matte finish/front reversable for dove tail turn in rings

Burris or Leupold turn in style rings will work...

the front base portion is reversable to accomadate the long action

Your Leupold 3-9 will work fine on this set up....

Burris base # 410-248 Burris ring set # 420-501 (Signature) or #420-052

Ammo for your 30-06 for deer/elk ?? I load my own ammo...so factory ammo

from Fed/Rem/Win in 165 or 180 gr loads will work....elk are tough....180's for sure

murrayman1
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
thanks guys i will definetly be getting the burris mounts then thanks for all the info.