PDA

View Full Version : Tru Oil question

JASON_SCHROEDER
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I have a stock that is finished with Tru Oil, but is starting to look dull. Can I just wipe it down and apply another coat or two of tru oil on the existing finish?
Thanks,
Jason

Uncle Jack
01-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I have done that before. In addition to cleaning the stock well, it's best to slightly rough up the old finish with a little 220 or 320 sandpaper.

uj

jpdown
01-16-2011, 12:49 AM
If the stock wood is scratched or nicked, I start by using some 400 grit sand paper wrapped around a small rubber eraser like we all used in school. I put a drop of Tru-Oil on the spot and sand the area to remove/fill the scratches or dents. Let the finish get tacky and then rub off excess finish with rag. Repeat process until scratches and dents are filled and blend with surrounding wood. After applying several coats of Tru-Oil, these areas will match the surrounding finish. Next rough up the old Tru-Oil finish with fine steel wool. Wipe the stock with tack cloth to remove dust and fibers. Apply generous amount of Tru-Oil to a cotton patch. I use a piece of old T-shirt and evenly hand rub a thin coat over the entire stock. Let dry overnight and repeat process until you get the glossy finish you want, or lightly rub with fine steel wool for a satin finish.

sha-ul
01-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Where do you get this product at?

Eric in NC
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Where do you get this product at?

Tru oil? Gun stores, sporting goods stores, brownells, midway usa, even some wal marts.

JASON_SCHROEDER
01-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. No scratches in the stock, just want to shine her up a little bit.
Thanks

bigedp51
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Make up a mixture of 1/3 raw linseed oil, 1/3 bees wax and 1/3 turpintine, I heated this mixture "OUTSIDE" in a coffee can sittin in a electric fry pan filled with one inch of water. When all three components are completely mixed pore mixture into small saleable glass jars.

This mixture is sometimes called the Finnish triple mix, but it was used as American Civil War storage cosmoline, and the ladies of the house used it as furniture polish. ;)

A smoke pole shooter gave me a little history lesson on this triple mix, in the 1800s this mix was rubbed over the entire rifle including the metal parts to protect it from the elements (a rub on raincoat) The linseed oil and wax revitalises the wood and helps waterproof the entire rifle. The Finnish military rubbed it on their rifles to protect them in the harsh fall and winter months and hence the "Finnish triple mix" name.

Linspeed is nothing more than real actual "boiled" linseed oil, the heating process causes the linseed oil to form long molecular chains which makes the oil more durable and waterproof. Heating the oil bonds the oil molecules together and "plasticise" the oil, modern BLO is not heated and has resins and driers to it and it is not as durable as the older real boiled linseed oil.

Pure raw linseed oil can be found in craft stores selling artist oil painting supplies.
Below pure raw linseed oil.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/5582grumbacherLinseedOil.jpg

Below, stand oil is actual boiled linseed oil (just like linspeed)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/5662grumbacherstandoil-1.jpg

Below British Enfield stocks, on left is BLO on right is RLO, rifles used in combat had RLO (raw linseed oil) applied to soak deeper into the wood and not have a shiny appearance.

Warning, the majority of American made BLO is toxic and can not be applied bare handed, the artist type linseed oils are non-toxic and "can" be applied by hand. ;)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP2270.jpg