PDA

View Full Version : Detachable Mag Upgrade Options

addicted
10-14-2009, 02:39 PM
To start off my first post I thought I'd say I'm the proud new papa of a Stevens200 in 308 that I set up for a tight budget workhorse boar hunting gun over here in germany where I am currently stationed.

It is the third savage I have owned and the current predicament I have with this rifle is that I am hunting a few days a week nearly year round and the blind magazine is getting to be a hassle between getting in and out of the stand and driving between hunting reviers.

What I was hoping to aquire from you fine gentlemen is some information on how I can change to a detachable magazine. I've seen the quick clip for the remington and i was wondering if anyone knew an option similar or if I need to get a new stock(wouldnt break my heart lol). Any info you guys have would be great.

-on a side note-
I guess i'll have to start paying to show you guys my current set up so i'll give you a mental picture. I polished the stevens out of the bolt. The optic set up is for night hunting when we generally go after the boars. I have an RWS 3-12x56 with illuminated #4 reticle that i picked up for a great price. With the 56mm scope i had to get high rings. to go along with the budget i got Burris zee steel 30mm high. To keep a good cheek weld on such a high sight picture i put on an accu-riser permanant cheek piece. I just started hunting with it a few weeks ago. So far my wife has shot a fox with it and I have yet to pull the trigger on some fur but it will come.

-josh

Appleseed
10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
To me, you spend more $'s and machine time to retro fit one. Sell or trade it for a 11 GCNS (wood stock), or 11FCNS (synthetic stock). Either can be had state side for $490-$540.

To buy a fancy aftermarket retrofit det/mag assembly will cost $300.

Think you can buy bottom metal and mag from several suppliers here for less. You will have to inlet the stock regardless of where the parts come from.

By the time its all done, you will be ahead of the game to trade for a new rifle. If yours is the older model staggered feed, even more of a pain.

I traded an older Savage for a newer det/mag for this reason. Like what I have so much better.

hershey
10-14-2009, 06:27 PM
if it is a staggerfeed it is not worth it to update it from a $$$ point of view.

if it is a staggerfeed you are probably further ahead buying a package rifle from a chain store that is basically a stevens w/ a savage logo, but some do have detach mags. the whole rifle runs in the $350 range.

if your a centerfeed already you can probably find a stock cheap(or upgrade to a vlp or something) that is set up for the bottom metal and SSS will sell you a mag and metal for less than $100 i think.

shelbyfan
10-15-2009, 05:55 AM
I did it on my 300. It cost $70 or so for the parts, you have to get the metal trigger guard. Took a few hours to get the bottom metal fit and then I bedded it. Not the prettiest but it works spectacular. All in all it probably has about 10 hours labor to get it done. A router with a good metal bit would have saved me about 7 hours, I have that now.

addicted
10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Trading it out for another savage isnt going to happen. They are a rare item over here in DE. All my german hunting buddies are always intrigued by my rifle because they have never seen one before.

It is the centerfeed, I definately wouldnt mind pursuing the path of doing the labor to get it done.

Appleseed
10-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Sharp Shooters Supply has bottom metal and mag assembly for det/mag or hinged floorplate. If you have access to a milling machine, it will help. Did a mag modification lately that took less than an hour with the bridgeport. Look for the trigger gaurd inlet depth to be different on the front and back on Savage stock. Don't know about the Stevens trigger gaurd.

addicted
10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
i think i'm going to go the way this guy went

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1813749#post1813749

I just have to wait until my New czeska Z is set up so i have a respectable hunting rifle so the germans dont look at me funny.

hershey
10-18-2009, 05:56 PM
those are good stocks, got 2 of them, sharpshooter will have everything else you need. if you don't want the tactical look, they make the tupperware and lpv stocks already inletted for the metal hardware, you could hunt down one of those....

Appleseed
10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
SSS makes a plain hunting synthetic stock inletted for det/mag? I missed that on their site. Would you share more info or a link?

Thanks

aubie515
10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
IMO, the Savage mag system is Fugly. I'd get a Vbull or get in touch with Kevin Rayhill since Kevin is starting to offer a mag system that uses AI mags.

I didn't know Kevin was going to offer a mag system, so I went with the mag system from CDI.

hershey
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
SSS makes a plain hunting synthetic stock inletted for det/mag? I missed that on their site. Would you share more info or a link?

Thanks

not that i know of, just savage, sss would have the metal pieces parts, you'd have to find a stock from someone upgrading, but the tupperware ones usually run allot less than the choate.

addicted
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
So this gun has really been wipping my ass. shooting 180grn sierra game kings this thing kicks like my old 300wm with a little more smack. Since i dont have to worry about weight hunting hunting the stands over here i thought i'd throw some lead shot into the tupperware stock to see how it felt. I ended up putting about 3 kilos in(6.5 pounds) and that sucker is heavy now. Can't wait hit the range and the stand this weekend. lol. I dont see it as a permanant adjustment, just fiddling.

the centerpoint for the weight is just behind the trigger guard now.

hershey
10-19-2009, 07:48 PM
your buttstock is just filled w/ foam, take a phillips screw driver and pull out the foam and put some lead shot in there.