PDA

View Full Version : Is this feasible?

Spud
10-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Have an old LH Sav 110 from the early 60's with the counter-bored breech bolt/barrel that I'd like to convert to the later flat bolt/breech system. Looks like I can get all the LH bolt-head parts easy enough. Problem arises with the bolt. This was what they called a "short action", but really has a medium length bolt body. This is no longer available and won't work anyway because the pin holes for the bolt body are machined horizontal instead of vertical. My solution is to get a long-action bolt body,(this is available from Numrich) shorten it to the length of my current bolt body and re-drill the holes properly for the new bolt head. I think this is do-able. The real problem comes with the firing pin. It's gonna be too long because of the extra length of the bolt nose that went into the barrel counter-bore. Anyone know if I can shorten the end of the firing pin to accomodate the new set-up? Or should I just can the idea? What to do, what to do. This gun has a lot of sentimental value, being my first centerfire hunting rifle. I'd like to be able to change barrels and can't do it as is. It's gonna be a 358 Win first, if I can! Right now it's a 243 Win. Would appreciate any input. Thanks.

dolomite_supafly
10-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Unless the firearm has sentimental value you would be better served just buying another firearm. From the sounds of it you will have more in this one than you would if you sold it and used the money towards another that is more to your liking.

I have seen Savages in pawn shops for less than $250, both long and short action.

Dolomite

pdog06
10-14-2009, 07:09 AM
I agree with dolomite. Just buy another action and start with that, then you can finds stocks to fit it also.

Cycler
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
There are a lot of things that are "feasible" or "possible" that aren't practical. As mentioned, the cost in both parts and machine time will equal or exceed the cost of a used current Savage that will be easy to change to whatever caliber you want. It will keep your rifle's sentimental value intact too.

Eric in NC
10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Its feasible to put men on the moon but...

As others have said, it would be a tough go to turn it into a DIY barrel changer, but you could also just have a smith fit a barrel to it just like they do for other rifles that require an extractor cut out or cone on the breech face. THAT wouldn't be too expensive if you found a guy with the knowledge to do it.

Spud
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the delay, been huntin'.