PDA

View Full Version : 1st Coyote.......Finally!

sims5
01-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Started hunting coyotes last winter and called one in the first time and my AR went click instead of bang, my fault! After about 30 more stands and not seeing or hearing anything, I decided to try going out tonight. This is only the second night attempt. Played Female Coyote Howl/Bark on my FoxPro Spitfire for about 1 minute, switched to Cal's Kitten and in less than 2 minutes had 2 coyotes running towards the call. I think they must have winded me cause the 1st one made a U turn, I then flipped on my light on my AR and it stopped broadside at about 65 yards. One shot was all it took, went about 45 yards and crashed. I switched to pup distress, trying to get the second one to come back, but it was gone. Here are a few pictures for you. He weighed about 30-35lbs. Now to get him to the taxidermist. Thanks to all of you for the tips and advice, looking forward to getting many more coyotes in the future.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1st_Coyote_a.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1st_coyote_1-13-11b.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1st_coyote_1-13-11c.JPG

scott597
01-14-2011, 08:09 AM
congrats...nice looking yote. i too have made about 20-30 stands this season and have only called in one within shooting distance, it was at night as well. congrats again and good luck.

Blue Avenger
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
nice size critter!

saw one get taken yesterday, 8 cars surrounded a section of land and a couple guys walked out to a very small grove.
more of an ambush LOL

efm77
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Nice yote! I've only killed one myself. I have the Spitfire call that you have. I called in a few the first few times I used it but was only able to kill one. I've made many stands since then and nothing. Not trying to highjack the thread but which call seems to attract them the most for you guys?

JRB
01-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Congrats, that is a big yote!

scott597
01-16-2011, 09:13 AM
finally got my first last night 1-16. called in four from across a frozen river. they got blocked by some open water about 70 yrds. out from us. they stood there staring at for us for a few seconds so i lowered the volume on the call a tad which made them instantly lose interest and start heading back across the river! so i jacked the volume back up and switched to higher pitched squeal and stopped in their tracks and ran back up river away from me and found a spot to cross. a few seconds later the big male came up from the river bank sprinting right at me. i had the speaker sitting right in front of me. i tried to hold off the shot so the others could catch up and we could have multiple shots but, when he got to 15 yrds. i had to take him. rolled him up with a load of 4 buck. we also called in a grey fox that i spooked so he got away. a good night of calling! also when i got home and sat in the chair i glanced out the window and seen a red fox trotting through the front yard. wish i had more spots to hunt because i would have stayed out, the critters were in a mood last night. sorry for jumping in on your thread.

bgc
01-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Congratulations, I have yet to get a yote

sims5
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Congratulations scott597! Sounds like you had an exciting night.

Song Dog
01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Congrats, thats awesome!
For the last couple of years, it only seems that I can only get time at night. But this year (UURRGHH) I have only made 13 stands. I should have 3 times that. But the good thing is I have 6 coyotes down.
Keep it up.