PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New MKII BRJ, New Member! I got Questions!

james1300
01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
New rifle. I want to take care of it!

Q) Wood Laminate stock. How do I treat and protect the stock?

Q) How do I maintain the finish of the rifle's Carbon Steel Satin Blued parts?

Q) 'Break-in' procedure? The Owners Manual has NOTHING in it about 'Break-in'.?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t111/james1301/SavageMKIIBRJ.png

Blue Avenger
01-14-2011, 10:27 AM
keep the wood out of the rain and it should be good. polish for wood will work, BUT it will make it slippery.

light oil coat

.22 like to be fouled. shoot it until the groups start to get bigger then clean it.

Cycler
01-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Glued and sealed properly, a laminated stock should tolerate anything except prolonged immersion. Try to keep it relatively dry and either good paste wax or an oil based gunstock finish (Tru-Oil or similar) will keep it looking good.

Light gun oil (CLP, Rem Oil, dozens of others) wiped on in a thin layer is plenty. Don't pour it on. Some is good, a lot is not better. If the gun gets caught in the rain, remove the action from the stock and be sure to dry everything underneath too. Then give all of the metal a light wipe with and oiled patch.

I always run a dry patch through the barrel of any new gun just to be sure the bore is clear and free of excess lube or shipping grease. I also put a small drop of gun oil on the bolt cocking cam, at the base of the bolt handle where the action locks up and the trigger mechanism. Then just shoot it.

james1300
01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the top's!