PDA

View Full Version : Sig Zee offset question/help

trappst
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Okay folks I finally got an action that's slightly warped..my first one in about 8 or 9 so I've been pretty lucky.

Here's the situation...I'm about 6-7 inches left and out of adjustment. Scope is a Burris FFII 3.5-10x50

Could be the scope but I'm gonna try to fix the issue with the offset inserts first. I've already got the Signature Zee rings so why not!

Now for my questions. Being 6-7 inches left at 50 yards, what offset should I get? Should I get the kit or just a certain "size"? Also, how should they be installed? I'm new at this offset stuff and math isn't my strong suit!

Thanks for any help!!!!

laportecharlie
01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
If you are 6 or 7" off at 50 yards you are going to be off 12 to 14" at 100 yards, more or less. You could put the "10" inserts in one ring and try that. If you need more put "5" inserts in the other ring for a total of 15 moa. Read the instructions carefully so you undertand what you are doing. It is real easy to get it backwards. I know from experience.
Charlie

trappst
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I've read the instructions a couple times now and I think I've got a handle on it.

Do you think 10 or 15 will be enough? Wouldn't I want to go past that point to get some adjustment back or in other words get the windage knob back towards center?

My height is fine....so do I put these things in so the split would be at the top?

laportecharlie
01-13-2011, 09:22 PM
A total of 15moa should be enough to get you centered.
Yes, the split in the inserts will be vertical.
I would start with the scope optically centered. Put inserts in for either 10 or 15 moa and shoot it and see where you are. I think you will be close enough to adjust the scope the rest of the way.
I have found the best way to think about this is you are pointing the scope to where the gun shoots, not the other way around.
Charlie

edit: The above is based on the scope being centered for windage in the first place. If you had allready run out of windage adjustment and were still 6 or 7" off at 50 yards, it's a whole nother ball game.
Charlie

trappst
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Yep, at 50 yards I'm out of windage in the scope and still 6-7 inches left of center on the target

I may have to try another scope too. I can't say for certain this scope is good....it's several years old and it's been around the block a few times.

laportecharlie
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
OK, once you know you have a good scope, shoot it again at 50 yards with the scope centered for windage. However far you are off in inches, double that and that is about what you will need in offset. ie: if you are 15" off at 50 yards you will need about 30moa of offset. You can get up to 40 moa of offset with two sets of 20 inserts. If you need more than that the gun should go back to Savage.
Charlie

trappst
01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
That's kinda what I'm thinking at this point. I may try a different scope while I wait on inserts to be delivered.

Can ya check my math for me?

According to Burris my scope has ~50 inches of internal adjustment....so that's 25 each way. I'm maxed out one way plus I'm still about 14 inches short at 100 yards.

Soooo, I'll need about 40 (or so) inches to correct the issue and get the scope back towards mechanical center. Am I thinking correctly?

laportecharlie
01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Sounds about right to me.
C