PDA

View Full Version : Barrel nut question; smooth vs fluted???

762X51
01-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi, I'm a new guy around these parts but I've got a powerful hankering for a Savage rifle. After learning about the AccuTrigger, AccuStock, the floating and replaceable bolt head, and Savage's unique barrel nut set up I have to ask myself why anybody would consider anything other than a Savage?? I'm now on a mission to find me a 16FCSS. I'm still trying to decide between the .308, the .260 and the .243 but I'll work that out. My question is, other than aesthetics, is there any difference between the smooth barrel nut and the fluted one?? Does the type barrel nut affect stock choice in any way? For instance can the fluted nut be used with the AccuStock? Any reason they can't be used interchangeably with any and all parts combos? Thanks and I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of the Savage shooter!

PS. I'll probably end up with a .308 since I have a buttload of surplus military ammo plus thousands of rounds of brass and tried accurate loads. But due to the uniqueness of the Savage design I can always swap to a .260 or .243 barrel anytime in the future.

Uncle Jack
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the madness and in answer to your question about the barrel nut....No! The only difference is cosmetic and the need for a different barrel nut wrench.

uj

wbm
01-13-2011, 03:05 PM
I have to ask myself why anybody would consider anything other than a Savage??

Savage's are addictive and fun.... except in California where they have probably been shown to cause cancer, ADS, and PTSD.

Aircraftmech76
01-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I have to ask myself why anybody would consider anything other than a Savage??

Savage's are addictive and fun.... except in California where they have probably been shown to cause cancer, ADS, and PTSD.

Don't forget ADD and HEY, look at that squirrel!

Kevin

Nor Cal Mikie
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Simple fact. California needs an "Enema". ;)

jwpark
01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Simple fact. California needs an "Enema". ;)

Or maybe a snow blizzard

ellobo
01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Berrer would be a very large eathquake. One that sends California out to sea so it can become a seperate Spanish speaking nantion.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-14-2011, 05:59 PM
so it can become a seperate Spanish speaking nation??? Where the %*@#* have you been? It already is!! ;)