PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference 14/11

rock337
01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I own a 11fcxp3 (.243) and would like to equip it with a nice wood stock. Numrich is selling a short action 14 stock with DMB, will it work for the 11 that i currently own? can anyone help?

pdog06
01-11-2011, 09:43 PM
The only difference between the 11 and 14 is the bluing finish. The 14 should be glossier.

The issue you may have is whether you have a staggerfeed(4.275" action screw spacing) or a centerfeed(4.400" action screw spacing). Savage changed the mag systems a while ago and it also changed the bolt spacings, so the stocks between the two styles are not interchangeable without some fitting work being done to them(i.e. moving the front pillar, plus magwell fitting).

As long as you buy a stock for the action style you have then it will fit.

hailstone
01-11-2011, 10:30 PM
If your correct on your model number nominclature then it should work okay. Your rifle should be a center feed short action in a plastic stock with detachable magazine that came equiped with scope, rings and bases. I've done several SA and LA using stocks from Numrichs. Be aware that the stocks will need inletting in two areas. The DBM bottom metal is not fully inletted at the front. This can be done by hand quite easily with a small chisel and utility knife. The harder inletting is on the right side of the action where the sear lever is depressed too remove the bolt. Out of eight stocks done so far seven needed inletting in this area. First stock I got from them was a drop in except for the bottom metal inletting. The stocks are very nice considering the garbage being fostered on the buying public today. Finish appears too be some type of vinyl coating not the typical varnish coating of by gone years. Checkering is CNC machine cut but better than the old pressed in checkering.

rock337
01-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, i will order one tonight.

teebirdhyzer
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
this is something I just finished doing, and there is one thing to be aware of. I have a 110 in .270 with center feed blind mag. I ordered a 114 walnut "classic style" stock with the ebony forend from numrich and the bottom metal and magazine frame from SSS to complete the conversion on mine. The issue I ran into is this: The bolt release on most of the savages is on the side of the rifle and is inletted in the stock to make room for it. On the newer "classic" 114 and 14 models, the mag release is underneath on the trigger guard area. When my stock arrived (it is from one of the newer 114 models with bottom bolt release), I had to do some dremel work in the stock to get the rifle to fit into it because it wasn't cut out on the side to allow the bold release to fit down into it. This was quite a surprise. just thought i would share in case you run into the same thing.