PDA

View Full Version : 44 Auto Mag ??

stimpylu32
01-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Just how critical is it to inside ream the brass when using a 308 case's to make 44 A.M. case's

This is a new project for me with a new cartridge , so I'm in uncharted ground on this one , any input would be very helpful , also what bullet would you recommend for this round ?

Thanks in advance .

stimpy

Eric in NC
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Absolutely critical - brass is WAY too thick after you cut it down if you don't inside ream it and will result in a big bulge on the outside after you seat a .429 bullet.

Even if it does chamber, it will raise pressure because the brass can't expand away from the bullet when you fire the cartridge.

stimpylu32
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks Eric

One more thing , Does it have to be inside reamed or can it be outside turned ?

The reason I ask is that Forster has a 30 day lead time on the inside reamer , while I have the stuff needed to turn the outsides already .

stimpy

Eric in NC
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Don't know - wouldn't think that would work though (step on outside would get pushed out when seating a bullet = weak spot in case).

Not like a long, necked rifle cartridge where you can anneal and fire form using a "blank" load of cream of wheat etc.

Man I would sure look at Starline brass on that one - not that expensive if your time counts for anything at all.

Around $35 per 100 - I saw Midway was out of stock with a quick search but someone must have it in stock.

leather5to1
01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Definitely have to ream, I don't think I would try it any other way. There is an automag forum somewhere, haven't been there in a long time. Those guys know everything there is to know. Also, watch out with your loads. Most published stuff is too hot and will ruin the pistol. I take it its an original right?

leather5to1
01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Google automagpistol and you'll find a bunch of auto mag nuts.