PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Questions about my new to me Savage 99...

Boox
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Edited by me to remove any potential political and/or religious references

First off, I want to introduce myself...I'm a retired curmudgeon, I worked as a substance abuse counselor for most of my career, I am a social worker and I own a few guns. And I'm not giving them up...I'm here because I now own a Savage and I want to know more...that's all...if it makes any difference, I've got 4 sons, 2 grand kids, and one is also a veteran like his father, and they're all making more money than I ever did...I spend my awake time these days sitting on the banks of the St. Lawrence River watching the ships go by when I'm not tinkering or off shooting some of my favorite firearms.

Now to the point...
I'm picking up a .243 win. Savage 99 tomorrow and I'll be getting a couple of boxes of ammo to play with and test. What I'm wondering is;

1. anything special to know about the '99. It is a late 60's vintage DL with monte carlo stock and the rotary magazine.

2. What weight bullet and what brand is your favorite factory load. Deer opens the 24th here in NY, so not a lot of time for cooking up a reload.

3. As far as that goes, I will be loading for coyotes and deer after this season is over so I am also interested in other favorite loads.

TIA,
Boox

Eric in NC
10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Well no political posts of any kind are allowed here so while you violated that, you have nothing to worry about (other than having this post edited or deleted).

I have found 100 grain Remington core-lockts to work well in most 243s I have tried them in. Some folks like the fancier bullets (partitions, tipped etc.) but I have always found the core locts to work fine in a 243 if you take a reasonable shot (broadside or front - don't have enough reach from behind or through a ham).

The 99's don't have any particular quirks other than don't load too hot for them, keep em clean and don't take the mag apart if it works now.

JCalhoun
10-15-2009, 05:44 PM
They are prone to cracking the stocks behind the tang. Nothing too bad though.