PDA

View Full Version : ? on centerfeed actions

woodmann
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I just picked up my new Model 16 .223. I'm not familiar with the centerfeed action. Do I just force the cartridge straight down between the feed lips? That is what I gathered from the manual.

Also, I just cycled some rounds through the action, and had a problem with bolt override. One round took two tries to pick it up and it refused to pick up the last round. Am I doing something wrong, or is thing destined to go back to savage?

Thanks in advance.

tammons
01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Probably just need to bend the feed lips out a bit so the shell sits a little higher.

Yes, just load them straight down

woodmann
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Wow, this just keeps getting better....

I was just looking at the crown. Not only is there a good ding on the muzzle, but it appeared that the crown was not cut true. Closer examination with a mic revealed that the bore is not centered in the barrel.

Guess I'll be calling Savage tomorrow....

tammons
01-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I would send it back too.

11fcns
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
i have a CF DBM Savage and yes to load the mag just push the round straight down. i've notice that usually when i try to chamber a round and the bolt won't pick it up is because the magazine is not fully seated.

woodmann
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
11fcns,

Thanks for the reply, but my rifle does not have a DBM.

I'm more concerned about the barrel now. When I measured the barrel wall thickness there was .028 difference side to side. Savage received it on Monday with a note explaining both of the problems. Hopefully I hear from them soon or get it back with a new barrel and tweaked magazine lips.