PDA

View Full Version : 243 die leaving mark

shelbyfan
10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I have two sets of new RCBS 243 dies.
On my first set the seater plug leaves a ring on the bullet where it contacts it. Not only is it visible I can feel it. I cannot seem to adjust it out and it is with three different types of bullet, ballistic tip, BTHP, and interlock

On my second set it leaves no mark and I adjusted it the same way, per the instructions.

Is it just me or could this be a manufacturers defect?

Also, why did they put that stupid brass screw to jam lock the ring, I have an older set of 300 and it has a lock ring that squeezes the ring and it works WAY better.

dcloco
10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
(ONLY a the bullet), chuck the bullet in a cordless drill, apply some lapping compound, and polish the seater plug to the dimension of your bullet. There is a sharp area on the inside edge of the seating plug that is leaving the mark on your bullet.

pphreed1
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
good Idea on lapping the seater I will try that on the brass screw I get a steel screwthen put a pellet or 2 of lead shot under it then snug it down don't strip out the steel screw as often and don't burr the die the ring can be a little stiff until thing all mate up Fred

Eric in NC
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Also, why did they put that stupid brass screw to jam lock the ring, I have an older set of 300 and it has a lock ring that squeezes the ring and it works WAY better.

Cheaper and I think some presses won't work with it either.

shelbyfan
10-14-2009, 02:51 AM
cool, I will give that a try. Should be easy enough. Thanks.

shelbyfan
10-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Took your advice and polished it up. Man that thing had some bad metal on it. The bullet trick didn't work I had to get some polishing stones on my dremel and run with it, used 2 different grits then some polish to finally get it off, took awhile but it is smooth as butter now.

Bad Water Bill
10-18-2009, 05:51 AM
And some people wonder why we spend $12.00 a year here.

Eric in NC
10-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Took your advice and polished it up. Man that thing had some bad metal on it. The bullet trick didn't work I had to get some polishing stones on my dremel and run with it, used 2 different grits then some polish to finally get it off, took awhile but it is smooth as butter now.

Check run-out on rounds you load with that - just in case you hogged it out on one side with the dremel.

shelbyfan
10-19-2009, 02:13 AM

Check run-out on rounds you load with that - just in case you hogged it out on one side with the dremel.
When I was done I chucked a bullet into my drill press and centered it onto the seater and polished it with some JB to finish it off. I will mic everything though.