PDA

View Full Version : stevens 200

joeyp
01-09-2011, 11:30 AM
i picked up a 223 fairly cheap im new to working on guns what would be the easiest barrel and stock for me to put on my self and what would it cost thank you

kslefty
01-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Need to know if it is stagger or centerfeed. There are more choices for stagger feed stocks. As for a barrel shoot yours it may surprise you. A barrel chambered in anything with a .378 case head will be the quickest swap, 221 fireball, .222, .204 ruger, 6.5 x 47 should work also. Also recommend a 3 screw savage trigger if you can find one.

McKinneyMike
01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
B&C Medalist stock and about any of the pre-fit barrels in the caliber that will work with your bolt head from Shilen, McGowan, Criterion, etc. Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply would be my first choice and he is a sponsor here. Look under the Sponsors forums and Kim lists all of the barrels that he has in stock and he can have just about anything made for less money, but you will have a little wait to get them, depending upon which maker you choose.

ellobo
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Check out Boyds. They make mostly stocks for blind magazines. If that is what you have they make excellent stocks cheap. I have three and am pleaed with them.

joeyp
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
thank you i am going to order a barrel and stock do i need any special tools

Tim300wsm
01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
you need a barrel nut wrench and a vise with wood blocks so it doesnt mark up your barrel and some go no-go gauges

GaCop
01-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Your hooked now for sure...........................there's no return from the "dark side" of barrel swapping. ENJOY!

joeyp
01-10-2011, 11:56 AM
are the go no go gauges hard to use and if they are is there a book that can teach me

hailstone
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
If you can put a shell in the chamber and close the bolt then you'll be able to handle the Go-NoGo gauges. As the name implies the Go gauge will allow you too close the bolt while the NoGo gauge will not close.

LHitchcox
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
After the first swap, I quit using no go gages. The Savage system lets you thread the barrel snug on the go gage to get consistent minimum headspace every time. As stated above, put the go gage into the chamber and close the bolt as you are threading the barrel in. When the barrel bumps the go gage, you have a zero headspace condition. When you then tighten the barrel nut the headspace will grow to .002 or .003 which is very desirable.

The no go gage is used to check for too much headspace. The bolt should only partially close on the no go gage.

hailstone
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
After a recent experience with Go-NoGo gauges I would say only using one gauge is fool hardy and not wise. I had purchased both gauges and was checking a rifle that I already owned in one of the calibers covered by the gauges. Slipped the Go gauge into the chamber and bolt would not close.. Next slipped the NoGo gauge into the chamber and bolt wouldn't close. Now which gauge is right and which gauge is wrong. Had I been only using the Go gauge the headspace would have been set wrong. When you can buy cheap insurance for $25 that prevents accidents from happening then that's what I'm going to do.

ellobo
01-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Trying that on any rifle but a Savage means nothing as far as Savages go. Headspace in other rifles is done after the barrel is seated in the ation. Headspacing a Savage is done at the time you insert the barrel into the action. thats wy you only need a go-gagfe for perfect headspace. Its also one of the reasons Savages are accurate out of the box. Pefect heaspace which you rarely get except on very expensive rifles done mostly by hand.

El Lobo

hailstone
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Don't read anything into my post. This was a Savage rifle chambered in 300 WSM--it was not a Remington, Winchester or any other make of rifle. The gauges were straight from Brownells. You are a fool for only relying on one gauge that may be wrong from the vendor. But then its your head that will get blown off if the head space is wrong because of someones elses mistake. Do you want too take the chance?

bigstump56
01-11-2011, 01:27 AM
I also just located a very cheap stevens 200 in 7mm-08. Do the 200s have the same bolts and receivers as in other savage? Also are the barrels different or the same?

Rick_W
01-11-2011, 01:34 AM
I also just located a very cheap stevens 200 in 7mm-08. Do the 200s have the same bolts and receivers as in other savage? Also are the barrels different or the same?

With a 7-08, you can simply change the barrel and have either a .243 or .308 as they all use the same parent cartridge - .308 Win.

bigstump56
01-11-2011, 12:08 PM
I am aware of the ability to just switch the barrels with this caliber. What im asking is if the receivers and bolts in the stevens are the same as in the savage? Just making sure they're quality before I drop more money in a big build, thanks.

BrentWin
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
The Stevens rifles are just a Savage without an accutrigger. The bolts, mags, etc. will interchange perfectly.

I would suggest that you become a member of this sight. For the price of a pizza, you will have access to all off the tech articles. These will answer most all of your questions and give you all kinds of ideas for your build.

okie2
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I only head space my barrels to my reloaded ammo then there is no mistake as to if it is right or not.

kslefty
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I only head space my barrels to my reloaded ammo then there is no mistake as to if it is right or not.
This is the way I do mine also. I do make sure it is a fully resized reload just so a factory piece of ammo will most always work in a pinch.