PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Accuracy Issues

Pages : 1 [2]

FW Conch
01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
???- 7mm-08, "I feel" 140gr bullets are too long for 1 in 11.5" twist.

308, you could try Federal Match ammo, if not decent it's likely not the ammo. I have "never" had 165/168 gr bullets loaded with Varget not shoot well. Also H4064 & RL 15 work well in 308 among others.

Aside from this, you may have something else wrong with the rifle, which I'm sure you can fix. Good Luck-Good Shooting-Jim

Brain Fade- sorry guys, I missed the page 2 before I made this post. ::)

hailstone
01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Don't know your exact circumstances but will assume that you have the ability too change out barrels. If you have another rifle of known accuracy and don't mind some extra work then I would use this approach. Seperate the Stevens 200 into various parts i.e. barrel, receiver etc. Take the known accurate rifle and switch the barrels. Test both for accuracy. Keep swapping parts until the offending part is found. Yes it takes some time and work but you will eventually discover what is causing the problem.

I had two different rifles of the same chambering and model do what your describing. When I used the method suggested found the culprit was the trigger. Trigger pull on the offending rifle varied from four pounds too twelve pounds with no rymthe or reason when the heavy pull would come. After replacement of the trigger, sear and spring both rifles shot with the same level of accuracy. I didn't mess with ammo as it's used in my collection of rifles chambered for a particular cartridge.. Either it will shoot with acceptable accuracy with the standard loading or it doesn't. Haven't found a rifle yet that doesn't shoot well with the load.