PDA

View Full Version : NEW VLP DBM .223 HELP!!

masterlink
01-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Hello.i just purchased a new Savage,223 VLP DBM.the owner of the gunshop just moved to a better location.he cant find the box and paper work.although he has it somewhere.PROBLEM-how do i find out what the rate of twist is.nothing marked 1in9 or 1in7 anywhere on the gun.any help would be great.
thx
D.

mil-dot
01-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Use a cleaning rod with a ball bearing handle. Put a cleaning patch on it. Push the rod all the way in. put a mark on the rod up by the handle and another down by the bore. Pull the rod out, wait until the mark up by the handle makes one full rotation and put another mark by the bore. Pull the rod all the way out and measure between the two marks. Your rate is 1 and how ever many inches between the two marks.

Jesse

MikeCTX
01-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Most likely a 1in9, I have a 12 VLP with a 7 twist and it is marked on the barrel. IIRC, the unmarked barrels are 1:9

the method described above will tell you what your barrel is as well, and not a bad idea since not all barrels are the same.

masterlink
01-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Ok.thanks alot for the help.thats what i wanted to know.diddent want to start loading rounds till i new what the twist was.

masterlink
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Did the cleaning rod method.it worked pretty good.came out 1 in 9 five times in a row.