PDA

View Full Version : new to reloading need some help

Tim300wsm
01-09-2011, 01:01 AM
i am getting into reloading with my dad we are ordering a hornady lock and load ap press what are we going to need to order with it to get started i have dies for both calibers i intend to reload i need a shell plate for each shell holders a scale a deprimer but the description for the press i got dosent really define what it includes well or maybe im just an idiot either way id rather ask for help than wind up without the right stuff

dcloco
01-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Go with a single stage press. Learn the basics.

Here is how reloading goes...

Start with basics.

Move to turret

OR

Progressive

...and still have your basic press on the bench because it can be a pain to swap calibers, blah, blah, blah on the the progressives.

May I suggest a Forster CoAx? Check it out. NO shell holders to buy. NO base plates to buy. Cranks out rounds with extremely low runout.

Regardless of what reloading equipment you buy, case/bullet runout needs to be as close to 0 as possible.

Tim300wsm
01-09-2011, 01:31 AM
i get 50% off on hornady so thats why im gonna get one

dcloco
01-09-2011, 02:23 AM
AH...that would be a good reason. :)

Still recommend a single stage.

McKinneyMike
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Indeed a single stage is the one to learn to reload on IMO. Less to fuss with/learn and generally better quality ammo results too. Unless you are shooting an AR, get a single stage.

kslefty
01-09-2011, 11:43 AM
You will need a case trimmer or at least a trim die and file, a deburring tool for the case mouth and neck, the deprimer is integral to your resizing die. I recommend some mica for your case mouths and a quality case lube. A hand priming tool is very handy also.

Samdweezel05
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I think it's great you are getting into reloading with your dad. As mentioned above, you should really start out with a single stage press and learn how the basics of reloading work. With a single stage press you can only screw up a single round at a time. If you don't catch a mistake with a progressive press you could have turned out 100, 200, even 1,000+ rounds and not have any idea you messed up untill you pull the trigger for the first time. Hornady makes a good single stage press as well and I think it would be money well spent.

Tim300wsm
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
alright were goin with the single what are the esentials to get along with the lock and load basic kit

stimpylu32
01-09-2011, 04:30 PM
The L&L kit is one of the better as far as goodies goes , you get the basics that you need to load with , at some point you are going to need something to trim rifle case's with , how soon depends on the cartridges you will be loading , some need trimming more than others .

Depending on what dies you went with , you may need to get a shell holder for these rounds , Lee includes them , RCBS doesn't and neither does Hornady .

The first thing you need to do once you unpack the kit is to put everything BUT the Manual back in the box till you have read the basics at least twice or till you have a firm grasp on how the process works . ;)

Aside from the tools , you will need a powder or powders that is proper for the cartridges you intend to load , proper primers , bullet's of your choice ( per Cal. ) and then you can get started on the greatest hobby you will ever have .

stimpy