PDA

View Full Version : now have savage 6br been shooting?

okbob51
10-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a chance to buy an unfired but pre-owned Savage 12 Benchrest in 6BR with the 8 twist. I'm wondering how the Savage 6BR's have been shooting? Also, what powder and bullets seem to work well in the Savage's. Any quirks or special concerns/issues/ with these rifles?

ThorBird
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
The freebore is forever in some of those chambers. Many find that they have to jump everything. Doesn't mean it won't be a phenomenal shooter, just that you shouldn't expect to be able to jam bullets. Ask the seller about his OAL, or distance to the lands.

okbob51
10-13-2009, 11:29 AM
The rifle is at a Cabela's. The previous owner never mounted a scope let alone fired it. He needed some cash quick so he sold the rifle to Cabela's. I can get into it for a decent price but, wondered how well they have been shooting. Thanks Thorbird for the quick response.....I have heard about the excessively long throats before.....were those in the early 6BR's? This gun is the relatively new "Benchrest" model introduced in February of this year. Anybody seen groups/scores from Savage 6BR's? I'm thinking about using it in 300/600 yard F-class local events.

tiny68
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Go to the accurate shooter bulletin (http://accurateshooter.com/bulletin.html) and on the right side search keyword "Savage 6BR". That will bring up several success stories. Read over the one by World Record holder Terry Brady on July 16, 2008. I think these guns can out shoot most shooters. Hope that helps, Tiny

okbob51
10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the link Tiny! That DID provide some interesting reading. It read like Terry Brady was able to reach the lands with the 105 grain bullets and then backed them off .005. Anyone else have any experience with the 6BR in a stock Savage rifle?

82boy
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I did an article on this gun, and it is accessible to site members. The one I had would shoot 5 shot 100 yard groups down in the .3 area, but would average in the .5 area. In the article I also mention what modifications that I would make to make the gun better.

ThorBird
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
I have a Model 12 F-Class in 6br. And the freebore is very long. I have to look up how far it was to the lands, but I will PM you what it was for some of the major 105 to 108 class bullets. I got it used with only a few rounds through it. I only used RL15 so far, and have plans to try Varget and H4895 to name 2 to see if I can get something it consistently likes. I think my issues have been finding where the bullets of each brand want to be. I know I can jump them, but haven't found the sweet spot with the 105 and 108 Berger, the 107 SMK or the 105 A-Max. I have shot groups that were very tiny with it, and then they open up. I wish I could jam them, but can't reach on the bullets mentioned. Might be able to with some custom bullets? I am hoping that it loves the old stand by varget.

My 6BRX shoots in the 1's consistently. Of course it is a Kreiger barrel, but I can jam and it shows my reload techniques and shooting equipment is not at fault.

I have a Savage F-TR in .308 and the chamber is perfect to jam if I want. That gun just shoots and shoots.